• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

Alcohol Hand-Sanitizer (Art Warning)

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Today brought a heads-up from Bruce, when the alcohol in Klucel G pasted hinges darkened some thermally-printed tickets. This has also happened at our shop, but with hand-sanitizer on credit card slips. It could also happen that a framer sanitizes their hands, doesn't dry completely, and accidentally touches thermally printed art. (Just like I thought I had dried my hands, but when I touched the credit card slip, sanitizer caused blackening.)

Starting this thread, as well, and between the two, hopefully it will get the word out. If you already know all this, feel free to pat your own back and eat Cheetos.

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
Must be the propyl?

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Oh, Wow! That's something I wouldn't have expected. Thanks for sharing!

James
And I'm likewise thankful to Bruce, for sharing his discovery. Will let our supplier who sold the Klucel G know that they might want to give buyers a heads-up.

For the sake of archive searches, will add this note as well. As has been noted by by others, when asked to frame thermally-printed paper, it's best to frame a good scan of it, then store the original away from heat and light. Will also add a 'wonder'. Whenever I read this suggestion, I wonder if the light from scanning could also affect the ticket. But the lack of such comments from those who do it would seem to indicate that it's fine.

Last edited:

cvm

PFG, Picture Framing God
From Reddit:
Thermal paper is composed of a combination of dyes dispersed throughout a matrix (think of a molecular polymer or crystalline scaffold) on top of paper. The ethanol dissolves the matrix, "releasing" and concentrating the dyes enough along the "solvent front" as it moves through the paper, allowing them to be seen. Many dyes are black, but some used are blue and red.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

Conservator
Today brought a heads-up from Bruce, when the alcohol in Klucel G pasted hinges darkened some thermally-printed tickets. This has also happened at our shop, but with hand-sanitizer on credit card slips. It could also happen that a framer sanitizes their hands, doesn't dry completely, and accidentally touches thermally printed art. (Just like I thought I had dried my hands, but when I touched the credit card slip, sanitizer caused blackening.)

Starting this thread, as well, and between the two, hopefully it will get the word out. If you already know all this, feel free to pat your own back and eat Cheetos.

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
Hand ‘sanitizer’ & I don’t get along. My first gloop & almost instantly I had skin fungus. It’s now so bad I have to wear gloves, so that I don’t scare people away. Of course, getting a dermatologist appointment takes months.
You might try rubbing organic coconut oil on your hands and leaving it overnight. Coconut oil is a wonder worker, anti-microbial, and maybe it could help with this

Echobelly

Grumbler
BAG BALM!

(doesn't hurt that it's from Vermont)
I used to live in VT, and Bag Balm was always within reach. Beware, I think it's even heavier than vaseline, so not something you'd want to use in a frame shop. I'd put some on at night and wear cotton gloves to prevent grease stains on the sheets. Would wake up with baby soft hands.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
BAG BALM!

I remember that stuff (or something similar) from the dairy farm I grew up on in Illinois. Just ordered me some and some cotton gloves from the 'Zon to get me through the winter. Cracked fingers are the worst.

Shayla

WOW Framer
Forum Donor
I used to live in VT, and Bag Balm was always within reach. Beware, I think it's even heavier than vaseline, so not something you'd want to use in a frame shop. I'd put some on at night and wear cotton gloves to prevent grease stains on the sheets. Would wake up with baby soft hands.
Same here, only I put socks on my hands. It's so goopy and medicinal smelling that I only use it at night. But good stuff.

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.
Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System