Air compressors

B

billyearth

We're buying a Cassese CS89 and need an air compressor. I know the Jun-Air 6-25 is good, but a bit out of our price range. What is recommended for low & mid-range units? I want to buy a *new* compressor that is fairly quiet and good enough to last a while. If the 6-25 is the top / only good choice, where is the best place to buy it?

Thanks

You might try an automotive equiptment wholesaler in your area, they usually do not stock junk, just profesional equiptment. Compressors can be dangerous, not when they are new but when they have aged and are not getting any attension anymore. Should you buy one, get a quality one. Look for cast iron compressor, not aluminum. Get one that will handle your future needs, the larger the tank the better. You will spend more money but it is well worth it. My compressor cost over two thousand dollars twenty years ago, it took me a year to pay it off, I've never regretted buying it. It has a sixty gallon tank, cast iron compressor, five horspower moter and twenty years later it runs as good as the day I purchased it, and it handles our entire system.
John

When I went to buy a compressor I checked around at several building sites figuring contractors would buy the most dependable. Emglo seemed the compressor of choice. I've had a 1.5hp dual tank for 3 years and have had no problem. I did raise the pressure to 135lbs for the cassese which is aqainst the rules but haven't had any problems. It is of course noisier than the "silent" compressors but I can live with that. You can build a box around the unit lined with sound absorbing material if you like but be sure to have ventilation so the unit doesn't overheat. The Emglo cost about $300 from Eagle Hdw but is available from most contractor supply stores.

Don't buy any compresser that you haven't heard running. Many of the cheap direct drive compressers are very loud, too loud to run in a store at all. I made this mistake once.

[This message has been edited by Scarfinger (edited September 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Scarfinger (edited September 20, 2000).]

JRBs reply is spot on.Cast iron and as big as you can afford is the way to go.I have a cast iron 3 phase compressor that handles all my pneumatics easily.

Get the biggest compressor you can manage. Mine is a monster that lives in the attic above the shop (I think there may be a horror movie plot here) The fewer times the motor has to cycle to maintain pressure the longer it will last. If you plan to be adding a computerized mat cutter - or have one already - make sure your compressor is large enough to handle it.

------------------
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana

Those large compressors are great if you have the room and power for them. They put out a larger quantity of air at higher presures. Both good things. In my case I needed the portability of a smaller unit. One thing you have to look at is the large units need a 220 volt circuit. If price is a concern you may not want to have to pay for an electrician. Pretty much anything over 2hp will need 220 to run.
In the smaller units watch out for the oilless compressors offered at discount places. A lot of them run at higher RPMs which makes them noisier, less dependable and wear out faster. Lower RPMs is a good thing. A larger tank lets the compressor run less often but for a longer time. Heres a thought, A larger tank can be attatched anywhere along the line it doesn't have to come on the compressor, in fact it would be better to have it directly on the tool.
The Casseses that I've used seem to work best at presures over 110lb. Most smaller units are rated for 125 lbs but don't cycle until you drop to 90lbs. This is typically to low for v-nailing which is why I fudged my compressor up slightly (a simple adjustment).

Kit, actually Computer Mat cutters don't use much air. My F-6100 only requires 2 cfm.

Bill

I'm a real believer that the SILENT compressors are the way to go in our industry as the air useage is typically minimal (relatively). Jun-Air (Danish made), Bambi (UK) and Silent Air (Italy) are all very similarly designed units. $750-1,200 depending upon size.

I purchased a Silent Air to run my F-6100 and love it. Check out their prices and models with Southern Moulding in Atlanta. They may have additonal distributors as well.

John

------------------
jerserwi@aol.com

Back