Affordable Mat Cutter Recommendation

fourcorners

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
From
Sacramento, California
My mother is a watercolorist living in Albuquerque. She usually cuts her own mats and is looking for something in the $500 range. I've only used a fletcher 2100 which is out of her price range. She's looking at Logan 650. Any thoughts? Anyone near Albuquerque who's looking to sell a used mat cutter that might be of better quality?
Thanks for the input.

Jim Miller

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
From
Suburban Central Ohio
Rather than buying a consumer-grade mat cutter, I'd suggest shopping for a used professional-grade cutter in good working condition.

In mat cutters, as in most other things, we generally get what we pay for.

B. Newman

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Kodak, Tn. USA
Just FYI, I have a Logan 650 and love it. I do all kinds of mats from multi-opening to open panel mats and of course double and triple mats with no problem.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have questions. I tried to e-mail you, but your address doesn't work.

Betty

John Ranes II CPF GCF

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
From
Appleton, Wisconsin, USA
Fourcorners,

If your mother is only cutting simple mats, less than one or two per day, then the Logan 650 would be a fine machine for her use. It really isn't a "hobby" level machine, nor is it a fully professional machine, as Jim was eluding, but it is definitely a hybrid and should serve her purposes well.

To Jim's point, however, you might be able to pick up a used Fletcher F-2100 for $400-500 and with some cleaning, and perhaps a few replacement parts, you'll have a brand new machine, that she'll really be happy with.

John

Larry Peterson

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
From
Wilkes-Barre, PA
I have a Logan 650 for sale; $150 plus shipping. I upgraded to a Phaedra Chronomat earlier this year have haven't got around to listing the 650 on eBay yet. Shipping to NM should be under $30.