Advice - Displaying a stack of papers

DeonG

Grumbler
Business
Sports Framing NL
I am asked to frame a stack of 8.5”x11” (approximately 1/4” thick) papers. Any suggestions on how to mount this to matting??

Yes stacked together with the top sheet to be visible as it has signatures on it.

Attachments

• 70592714-F738-42A7-B197-15A1E3D58C07.jpeg
    70592714-F738-42A7-B197-15A1E3D58C07.jpeg
    116.2 KB · Views: 20
Are you familiar with this book? In it too will find what you need to know.
Basicly it would be in the form of encapsulation. Possible thicker material in order to form 1/4" sides. The material used can be creased to hold its form. Instruction should be in the book.

s572982479790525750_p5_i13_w2550.jpeg

Caught post 3 after post 4 was placed, 4 was in the making.
Top sheet done as you would normally with a mat cutout. Behind the mount board you could do a sink mount for the remaining papers.
The advice given in post 4 was for mounting the entire stack onto the mat board.

Right. It’s going all together as one stack behind the mat cut out. The cut out would basically be say 8”x10.5”. I guess I’ll get that book and research but how would I attach this to the backside of the mat cut out, and all together?

Right. It’s going all together as one stack behind the mat cut out. The cut out would basically be say 8”x10.5”. I guess I’ll get that book and research but how would I attach this to the backside of the mat cut out, and all together?
If that's the case:
I would suggest Line two in post #5. Top sheet, with a mat and back board, remaining sheets in a sink mount behind the mount board. You will need a frame to accommodate the entire thickness. (about 3/4" )
Otherwise consider putting the entire package on top of the mat board. You then would need the instructions in the book. Think of it as floating a magazine.

Thanks for the mention, David.
When you get the book, look up "Clear Film Book Mount". That technique is designed to mount a book using two sheets of clear polyester film (aka Mylar-D or Melinex 516), and it could work for this with slight modification.

But for your purpose, I think a single sheet of clear film, cut into a shape similar to the Red Cross logo, would do the job. That is, make the center area 8-1/2" x 11" and trim four "flaps" to be folded to the back of the stack and held together using double-sided tape (no tape on the stack itself). Crease the clear film sharply to conform to the shape.

To secure the mounted stack to the background board, you may be able to use several strips of double-sided tape. However, since I distrust pressure-sensitive adhesives under stress of any kind - including gravitational - I would adapt the Book Mount attachment. That is, taper two of the "flaps", pull them through narrow slots placed just under the stack's edges, and secure them to the back of the board.

Hi Jim. Yea I’ll definitely have a good read with your book. I think I understand what your saying lol. It’s hard to see exactly what your saying but I think I know what you mean. I’m semi new to this and I have to think about it more as opposed to some who have a lot of experience.

Is the clear film as thin as say Saran Wrap? Also what about if I used foamcore and cut out the shape to fit the papers into and have the foamcore the exact same size as the inside of the frame so there would be no gravitational suspension? Basically the stack of papers would be inside the foamcore opening with another piece directly behind the papers securing it in place…hard for me to explain lol

...what about if I used foamcore and cut out the shape to fit the papers into and have the foamcore the exact same size as the inside of the frame so there would be no gravitational suspension? Basically the stack of papers would be inside the foamcore opening with another piece directly behind the papers securing it in place…
That's what we call a sink mount and yes, it would work. However, the edges of the stack would not be visible, so it might look like a single piece of paper. The clear film mounts would enable you to float-mount the stack with good support, and all four sides would be visible.

Also, if this stack of papers has any sort of value, and preservation is a concern, then you need to know that direct contact with the cut edges of foam board would expose the paper to expanded polystyrene (aka Styrofoam), which might be chemically reactive inside the closed environment of the frame.

Clear polyester film is heavier, thicker, and more rigid than Saran Wrap, chemically non-reactive & stable, and preservation-worthy. You can buy it in sheets or rolls from suppliers of conservation materials. I think the photos in the book would help you understand its applications, too.

Back