• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.
Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC

Adjusting Head on Fletcher 2100 Mat Cutter

Erin Nazzaro

Grumbler in Training
I am having a problem. Perhaps I have over adjusted but I cannot tighten the blade holder enough...the blade just slides out.....

Do I need to think about having the Head fixed? Or is there a part or parts that I can order to fix this problem ?

Erin Nazzaro

CHolt

True Grumbler
Are the threads stripped so that the screw just turns and turns?

nikodeumus

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
The tilting assembly that carries the blade holder is easily removable.
Can you take it off to inspect the threads for the holding nob?
If the threads are stripped, perhaps just replacing the blade holder assembly is all that is required.
It would cost less than replacing the entire head.

nikodeumus

To find the exact parts you may need, use the fabulous Manual Library created by Larry Peterson.
Goto the RESCOURCES tab on the top bar of the Grumble page.
Select "Framing Equipment Manuals Library"
On this page you will see a yellow button labeled "Go to download" on the right top side.
This will take you to Larry's website.
Scroll down the selections until you find "Fletcher 2100 Mat Cutter"
There is an exploded view diagram of the cutter head assembly and parts list on page 24.

Erin Nazzaro

Grumbler in Training
I did not think that that was the case . It seemed as if the screw was tightening. But, I unscrewed the knob...and find that it will not tighten now...it does just go round and round .
I am not really clear about what I am looking at on the parts list from Fletcher ....would that be the Pivot screw ?
If that is what I need to order......

Hoffmann Dovetail Joining System

nikodeumus

Is it this little knurled knob that is your problem?
fl2100.jpg
In the manual, it is just labeled "Knob (LH)" if it is on the Left Side (the angled cutting side). Part number 12-535
The other one is labeled "Knob" if it is the Right Side blade holder (the straight cutting side) . Part number 12-075

The knobs thread into a brass(I think) receiver thread hole that is inserted into the black handle component.
Brass is soft, it is possible that overtightening has stripped the threads?
I don't see only that brass thread as a replaceable part. If the threads are bad, you may need to replace this: "Comfort Grip (LH)", part number 12-534

You probably will have to contact FLETCHER directly, it is unlikely many framing suppliers have parts like these in stock.

Erin Nazzaro

Grumbler in Training
Ok......Thanks for all of your responses......I am going to check out all suggestions...I will report back !
Is it this little knurled knob that is your problem?
View attachment 35028
In the manual, it is just labeled "Knob (LH)" if it is on the Left Side (the angled cutting side). Part number 12-535
The other one is labeled "Knob" if it is the Right Side blade holder (the straight cutting side) . Part number 12-075

The knobs thread into a brass(I think) receiver thread hole that is inserted into the black handle component.
Brass is soft, it is possible that overtightening has stripped the threads?
I don't see only that brass thread as a replaceable part. If the threads are bad, you may need to replace this: "Comfort Grip (LH)", part number 12-534

You probably will have to contact FLETCHER directly, it is unlikely many framing suppliers have parts like these in stock.
I will check to be sure........thank you.....I will let you know

Erin Nazzaro

Grumbler in Training
To find the exact parts you may need, use the fabulous Manual Library created by Larry Peterson.
Goto the RESCOURCES tab on the top bar of the Grumble page.
Select "Framing Equipment Manuals Library"
On this page you will see a yellow button labeled "Go to download" on the right top side.
This will take you to Larry's website.
Scroll down the selections until you find "Fletcher 2100 Mat Cutter"
There is an exploded view diagram of the cutter head assembly and parts list on page 24.
I appreciate that.....The fletcher "manual" is pretty poor ! I will check out Larry Peterson's Manual Library !

Erin Nazzaro

Grumbler in Training
Ok......Thanks for all of your responses......I am going to check out all suggestions...I will report back !

IMG_6142.jpg IMG_6143.jpg I am finally back to my work space. I am having issue with the right side blade holder ( Straight Blade)
I did not take off the tilting assembly yet... It seems that when I put the blade holder in the two knobs do hold it securely. When the blade is in place and being held firmly it is too far in to actually cut through the mat. When I loosen the knob on the right and extend the blade....it just gets stuck in the mat and slides out.

wvframer

RIP
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
You might not be getting enough torque when you are tightening down the blade. I think it is sliding back into the head in the first instance and sliding out when the blade is sticking into the mat. I replaced the thumbscrew on mine after struggling with it for a while and the problem went away.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

David Hewitt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
I may be totally wrong, but by the looks of your pictures the blade is not inserted properly in the holder, looks like it's all the way out. This may seem simplistic but I would like to start from the beginning.
First the blade holder has an adjustment screw on the back. (black screw) Screw it counterclockwise till you no longer see it in the window on the holder. Now slide the blade all the way in the holder, it should be flush with the front. Insert blade holder all the way in the slide and snug down the knurled knob. If you try to cut the mat the blade should not touch it, Loosen the knob and turn the blade holder screw clockwise to push the blade further out till it will touch the mat surface. Go a little further so blade will penetrate the mat, snug down the knurled knob and make a cut, check your blade depth. keep Redoing this procedure till you reach proper cutting depth.
Again, acting as if someone was unfamiliar with the cutter.

Erin Nazzaro

Grumbler in Training
I may be totally wrong, but by the looks of your pictures the blade is not inserted properly in the holder, looks like it's all the way out. This may seem simplistic but I would like to start from the beginning.
First the blade holder has an adjustment screw on the back. (black screw) Screw it counterclockwise till you no longer see it in the window on the holder. Now slide the blade all the way in the holder, it should be flush with the front. Insert blade holder all the way in the slide and snug down the knurled knob. If you try to cut the mat the blade should not touch it, Loosen the knob and turn the blade holder screw clockwise to push the blade further out till it will touch the mat surface. Go a little further so blade will penetrate the mat, snug down the knurled knob and make a cut, check your blade depth. keep Redoing this procedure till you reach proper cutting depth.
Again, acting as if someone was unfamiliar with the cutter.
I have used a fletcher for years...but, not in years.....
Thank you for your simple walk through....I realize what I had done wrong...when putting the blade holder in place...I finally realized that the problem was that it had not gone far enough in ...something was obstructing it.......I feel very foolish...but it seems that I have not been loosening up the front knob enough...when I looked into the space there was the tiniest bit of screw blocking the path.....(.duh)
I thank you for you help . I feel foolish and happy at the same time :)

Beauty, Brawn, and Brains: Wizard Z1 CMC