Acrylic painting Dilema

DaveK

True Grumbler
I had a customer bring me an arcylic painting on a Fredrix 11 x 14 pre mounted canvas. She didn't want it float mounted, instead she insisted on a regular wood frame. Obvoiusly there won't be any glass, YES I sealed the rabbet. I am not quite sure if I sure mount it to a piece of Museum Rag, or if I sould leave it float. There is some info about the painting on the back. Any suggestions on how to handle this would be greatly appreciated.

Whats the dilema?
don't mount it. photo copy the back. point it in. and go take a reality check.

Was this the first customer to come into your store? That might explain the your problem here.

Whatever you think about how a piece such as this should be framed needs to be revised by reading a few of the books on framing out there or better yet, attend one of the many framing schools.

Please, please... make sure you are knowledgeable in how to frame art before you attempt it as a profession.

Are we all feeling a little sassy because it's the Friday night on a holiday weekend and most of us will be manning our shops tomorrow instead of BBQing and sipping a nice cold ale?

Let's be nice people.

Oh yeah, and DaveK... what they said.

I don't know, but maybe you guys misunderstood what I was saying!! The only ? I had was should I mount it to a backer, or let it float in between the frame and the backer. THE REST I CAN HANDLE.

I suspected it was more a question of terminology rather than process.

No need to mount that canvas board. Fomecore or Coroplast will make a wonderful filler.

I'll be home barbequing tomorrow myself.

Dave... Sorry you hit the Grumble and skidded right into a couple of "grumpy attitudes".

Hanna is right (and she's NEVER grumpy, unless her new super-sonic digital camera needs a new battery). Just pin that puppy into a wood frame. If you want to finish off the back with a dust cover, that's cool. And it looks nice. But you don't need any other kind of "backer", unless you want to fill a deep frame with foam board.

Hope that helps.

PS: You can cut a hole in the dust cover to reveal the notations; or, if you have a nice hand, you can copy it onto the dust cover. The customer is the person to ask on this point.

Yeah, and for the uber bad attitude.... :D

If they wanted that information they would have photocopied it themselves and asked you to paste it on the dust cover....

But because they are the slipshod simpletons that they are and forgot that step......
thumbsup.gif

You get to be the HERO of Southern Maryland, but doing it for them. And when you point it out to them, that you pasted that info on the back... they just fall all over themselves... it's really cool.

As for the backer...WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?!?! THAT STUFF COST REAL MONEY!!! Or it's a cool place to hide a whole lot of scrap.....

Have a great BBQ.... blue crabs?

Hi DaveK! I am with Susan 100%. We sell more frames than floaters for the many oils on canvas we receive (and sell). You can count on one hand the times we have added fillers. Hang in there; some days are better than others on the G.

Two reasons why I would fill the frame with fomecore or Coroplast: </font>
  1. That canvas board is not immune to warping, especially in higher humidity.</font>
  2. A full frame will make the dust seal more resistant to puncturing. Most people puncture the dust cover on the hook when they hang the picture, or they put their fingers through it.</font>
I don't think DaveK was ever asking about a floater frame. I think he just wondered whether he should bond the canvas board to some backing or just fit it with some filler behind it.

Geez, no wonder our customers get confused about terminology.

Reality check meaning - it's a canvas board. It is most likely not archival, So why put a muesum rag behind it.

And no I didn't know everything when I started. But I did learn before I ever worked with the first customer.

I still don't know everything thats why I still take classes to increase my knowledge base to better serve my clients.

I probably wouldn't have sealed the rabbet. I suppose I've framed maybe 5,000 canvases and I think I've sealed less than 100 rabbets.

I don't think we want to fault DaveK for being too conservative, though.

Sometimes, with a frame that size, I'll fill it with as many layers of scrap (ArtCare) matboard as it takes, since pieces that size usually get pitched otherwise. I'd use ArtCare or rag just because that's what's around.

My slip sheets on my CMC and mat cutter are usually conservation boards of some sort.

I made some REALLY good burgers on the grill about an hour ago.

I'd like to mention, for the third time, that I don't think DaveK was talking about floater frames vs traditional frames. I think he was talking about mounting the canvas board vs just backing it with something more substantial.

Anyway, I'm not sure how you'd gallery wrap a canvas board.

(See, Jerry knows me well-enough to know I'm just yankin' his chain.)

I forgot to place my order, DaveK! What are we having for dinner? And how soon can you get it to the opposite coast?
Hope today is better than yesterday and that you're feeling more love!

You got it Jerry! I am here taking names and will kick butts.

Monitor: for further discourse, enlightenment, and fun at Ron, Jerry, Sister, and last but not least DaveK's expense can this topic be moved to the very warped area for at least the 3 day weekend? :D

BTW Ron did you miss the part about "Museum" rag?? :eek: How much of THAT do you have laying around?

Not sure why you're inquiring about my inventory, Baer, but it look like a total of about 15 sheets, currently.

My preference is for the ArtCare rag, though. I like zeolites and I've always been a bit annoyed over Crescents rather loose use of the terms "Museum" and "Ragmat."

Back