• Welcome! You will have to REGISTER a free account, before you can access the system. If you already registered, please LOG IN. (top right)
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. If you have questions, feel free to click the CONTACT US link at the bottom of this page.

A question about VPN

Advertise on the G, a forum for framers only

Framar

WOW Framer
Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada
Last year I paid for a two year subscription to Avast's Secure Line VPN. I have to remember to turn it on because it turns itself off every time I have to restart my computer for updates.

I remember thinking I could use it to watch stuff on BritBox, but BritBox detects the VPN and denies usage. And if BritBox can detect a VPN, I am sure pretty much everyone can. So what good is it? Who are we trying to kid?

I have only used it a couple of times to catch the cold open on SNL the next day.

Now this keeps showing up on my new laptop. I click don't install and it keeps popping up over and over again. I also uncheck the trust box.

vpn.PNG

Is this the Avast VPN?

Is a VPN needed for security? I already pay for Avast Premium Security.

What the heck??? :rolleyes:

framah

PFG, Picture Framing God
Business
death star driver
Are you able to go to your cookies file?
If you can try to find any cookies related to it...then delete them.
If you're not sure which are those cookies, possibly click on any that you want to keep and then delete all the others.

As an example, you would find cookies for the grumble, those cookies contain info that allows you to be logged on so they would need to stay otherwise you would have to re-log in.

Getting rid of any cookies from that site should also get rid of that irritating pop up.
No promises, tho.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
A virtual private network lets you "bounce off" another computer, so you appear to be someone else to the destination website. A lot of people use this (or TOR or PROXY server) if they are doing something covert online, like downloading something less than legal, wanting to access video content that isnt permitted in their country, etc. Many providers (including this forum) have databases and know which connections are coming through a VPN. Many block them, because they are often used by hackers and such - and many are blocked already because someone else abused it before you visited, or was using it to evade a ban.

I don't use any personally, or see it as needed for the average joe. You have to have a level of trust for the VPN provider, because you are going through them and they could potentially track things. It also causes a slow down, to some degree.

Having a good antivirus program is the most important, such as Kaspersky. Using trusted websites that support HTTPS is also helpful. Avoiding sites that collect way too much personal info is another concern. FB is somewhat evil, IMO. I use Facebook container to help keep it somewhat in line, but the level of data they collect is mind blowing.

Framar

WOW Framer
Whoa. It creeps me out that just after I posted this inquiry, I received an email on my old laptop from Avast , reminding me that I could install the VPN on up to 5 devices, and they had noticed that I only had it on one.

Not gonna renew this when it expires. Hmmm. Wondering if I cancel it now they would give me a rebate? Worth a try.

Thanks.

tedh

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Business
Canal Gallery
I used NordVPN to watch the Super Bowl commercials from the States, which were being blocked by Bell Canada, the most evil corporation in Canada. Not great speed, but after that, it was cool, because sites couldn’t see anything about you.

Direct Contact Overlays DCO Book by James Miller

David Waldmann

Herder of cats
Forum Donor
Featured Vendor
Business
Vermont Hardwoods
Never thought about using a VPN for nefarious purposes. I thought it was primarily to make a secure connection between multiple devices, like using my work computer from my home computer.

i.e. (from Wikipedia) A virtual private network (VPN) extends a private network across a public network and enables users to send and receive data across shared or public networks as if their computing devices were directly connected to the private network.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
They have certainly evolved over the years, and are now marketed as a security solution. Like you, I have always used them as an extension to access the computer resources at work from home

FramerInTraining

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
This won’t answer your question but I use VPN differently.

I have an independent VPN hardware setup at my router at home. When I’m abroad I turn the VPN on when accessing hotel or Starbucks Wi-Fi connections to make sure my data is compromised.

I also use it to watch my Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime videos and so on. Some of these services are blocked in some countries abroad.

I also use FrameReady, and using VPN allows me to connect to my server from any internet connection. It’s a bit better experience than using Desktop Remote Control.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider

PAckerman

True Grumbler
If you are really worried about hackers then a VPN is what you need. It creates a private encrypted connection. This is very useful if you are accessing the internet through wifi in say a Starbucks or airport as these free wifi locations are the real hackers dream. Even at home we use the VPN as it is very secure for banking and purchasing on-line. Not having a VPN is fools mission.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades

Framar

WOW Framer
I have another question about my VPN.

I now have a brand new modem*, and I am not sure if there is any connection between the modem and the VPN, but all of a sudden the VPN is reconnecting itself seemingly several times per day, and when it does, the WAN light on the modem turns red and I lose my Internet for a minute or two, while the VPN reconnects itself.

I really only use the VPN for those rare "This video will not play in your country" situations - and I am going to try to manually turn it off and keep an eye on the WAN light on the modem. VPN expires at the beginning of January and I have no intention of renewing it.

*Reason for brand new modem: lightning strike in the area fried my six week old phone jack, my old modem, and two cordless phones. So Bell had to come in and give me a brand new jack, a brand new modem, and I had to go buy new phones.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
I have another question about my VPN.

I now have a brand new modem*, and I am not sure if there is any connection between the modem and the VPN, but all of a sudden the VPN is reconnecting itself seemingly several times per day, and when it does, the WAN light on the modem turns red and I lose my Internet for a minute or two, while the VPN reconnects itself.

I really only use the VPN for those rare "This video will not play in your country" situations - and I am going to try to manually turn it off and keep an eye on the WAN light on the modem. VPN expires at the beginning of January and I have no intention of renewing it.

*Reason for brand new modem: lightning strike in the area fried my six week old phone jack, my old modem, and two cordless phones. So Bell had to come in and give me a brand new jack, a brand new modem, and I had to go buy new phones.
It sounds to me like the new router (or is it really a dialup modem?) is losing connection, so the VPN is re connecting once your internet comes back.

Framar

WOW Framer
About two days after they installed the new modem it crapped out and it took them several days and lots of messing around to get it up and running again. And no - it's not dial-up - I have not had that in many years.

The first guy who was here expressed surprise that I was able to have any connection at all, over 350 feet back from the box on the pole at the road, and then another 50+ feet to the house.

They really want me to switch to their so-called Fibe program, which may or may not really be fiber optic. ONce I succomb to that there will be no more land lines and then they'll try to sell me TV and, as I have a tower antenna, I don't want their darned TV, and I do not want a smart phone either. For what I am paying them a month they should just leave me alone.

Mike Labbe

Administrator
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Business
Get The Picture
If it's fiber (FIOS), it is extremely fast and reliable. We were one of the first to have it in our area, many many years ago. We are out in the forest, as the LAST house on the line for both copper telephone wiring and cable tv. Both had terrible signals with the old dialup telephone taking 2-3 seconds for a dial tone because of how long the wires were, and the analog cable tv was very "snowy". Fiber is a durable piece of glass thread right from the central office to our garage, and the internet is faster and more reliable. It sends pulses of light to produce tv, internet, and telephone data. We had Cox Cable for all 3 services for years, too, which wasn't as reliable. If it is DSL, that was the service that came first and used the old copper lines with an internet feed at a higher frequency. It was never very fast or reliable, and was discontinued here more than a decade ago. (DSL was never an option at our house, and the area skipped ahead as a fiber test area) We do have the Verizon FIOS TV, but will probably be cutting the cord to that soon. We already have most of the streaming services, and can probably cut out the cable bill. For telephone, we have been using an alternate VOIP provider for at least 20 years now. I think we pay about $8.50 per month, and a few dollars tax, for unlimited local and long distance. (including about 15 features like caller ID with name, conference calling, simul ring to cellular, voicemail, etc) (Using VIATALK, not Verizon FIOS)

FrameReady Special Offer - Call 888-281-2202

Framar

WOW Framer
Well, I turned off the VPN yesterday and the modem has been working just fine since then.

My service is DSL and for my needs works perfectly fine. I do not download or stream movies or do any gaming so I do not need any more speed than I already have.

Thanks for your help, Mike.

W.D Quinn Saw Co. - US Made Picture Frame Blades