A Minor Whine

Larry Peterson

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Resource Provider
Search of theG doesn't allow you to use short words. I found this out when I tried to search on 3D printer.

The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: 3d

That's OK, but it also doesn't allow the same search in quotes. If I search on "3d Printer" in quotes I get the same result. You should be able to search on a term that includes shorter words if they are quote delimited.

194451a62fc0e3a81901186f59ff4de7.jpg

I'll have to look into that. I thought it worked in past year with quotes, for words shorter than the indexing minimum.

I never knew the thing about adding quotes. It would be great if fewer than four letters could work.

I looked into this with the software vendor and it turns out the limitation is actually from the underlying database, not from the software itself.

Last edited:
I looked into this with the software vendor and he turns out the limitation is actually from the underlying database, not from the software itself.

They have some lazy programmers there. Escaping quotes in SQL is a basic part of database programming. Quotes are used in SQL to delimit fields in an sql statement. Consider the following simple SQL query

Code:
SELECT * FROM address WHERE lastname='Peterson';

And the result set

Code:
"aid"    "cid"    "FirstName"    "LastName"    "Company"    "Address1"    "Address2"    "City"    "State"    "Zip"    "Country"    "Phone"    "email"    "atype"
"65010"    "202757"    "Rich "    "Peterson"    "Peterson Farm"    "535 South St. "    ""    "Bridgewater "    "MA"    "02324"    "US"    "508-509-6649"    "rpeterson61@msn.com"    "0"

We get a result set delimited by quotes. But what if there was a quote in the data. Instead of 'Peterson Farm', it is instead 'Peterson"s Farm'. Any SQL program worth it's salt will return the following.

Code:
"aid"    "cid"    "FirstName"    "LastName"    "Company"    "Address1"    "Address2"    "City"    "State"    "Zip"    "Country"    "Phone"    "email"    "atype"
"65010"    "202757"    "Rich "    "Peterson"    "Peterson""s Farm"    "535 South St. "    ""    "Bridgewater "    "MA"    "02324"    "US"    "508-509-6649"    "rpeterson61@msn.com"    "0"

Note that there is a double quote in Peterson""s Farm. When an SQL program reads this result set it will strip off the extra quote. If the didn't do this the field for Peterson Farm would end up being "Peterson" and the next field would be 'Farm" messing up the result set. This is SQL Programming 101. Not be able to handle is a big no no.

The following query would also break this non-complant database and would issue an SQL error.

Code:
SELECT * FROM address WHERE Company="Peterson"s Farm";

Either of the following two queries would work.

Code:
SELECT * FROM address WHERE Company="Peterson""s Farm";
SELECT * FROM address WHERE Company='Peterson"s Farm';

I believe quotes will get around it, but to lower it to 3 characters or less it would have to be a change at the server level and then we would have to rebuild/repair the database. Supposedly it will get reset by the host when there are updates, and break the forum. Default is to index 4 characters or more, I was told.

There IS a setting in the forum software to lower it, but it would still need to be allowed at the server level.

Not worth it, IMO :)

Mike

Mike is this an appropriate place to ask about ...a "quirk", not a complaint as such.
On several occasions, I have had emoji's placed seemingly randomly in a message I have typed, rather than at the cursor placement.
It's a very minor issue, I'm just curious why that would happen?

Wow thats an odd one that I have yet to see. Which browser. device, and operating system?

We did do a software upgrade about a week ago, too.

Now that you mention it....I thought that my cursor was moving while I was looking at the emojis. I use a trackball, so this has happened on occasion in my word processing. But maybe there is something buggy going on. I use Chrome on Win 10

I found this one. It's an issue that should only apply to IOS (Apple) mobile devices, and has to do with the browser on those devices.

The default IOS browser has difficulty working with the BBCODE features built into the editor, when backspace key is used. (Features like fonts, bold, italics, avatars, bullets, underlining, including images within, etc) It works best in PLAIN TEXT mode for those devices.

The temporary fix is to click the GEAR on the top right side of the editor, to turn those features off. This will dumb it down to use plain text mode. I'll see if I can code something in to detect IOS mobile devices (only) and turn it OFF by default for those visitors. Then someone can click the gear to toggle it on, if they wish.

If using Chrome or another browser on IOS, you probably won't have the problem. (another solution)

I'll look into it and try some coding to make it less confusing and easier for those folks.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
ok I made some code changes to default the rich text editor feature OFF for certain mobile devices. Please let me know if it is fixed now.
Thanks

-Made additional changes to be more specific for this change. Yesterday's change was turning off the rich text editor for ALL mobile devices, and smart TV's. I tweaked it to only do IOS/Apple based devices (about 13% of mobile devices), and removed this change for Android devices (about 87% of mobile devices), and smart tv guests.

If any of the above changes cause trouble for your device, please let me know. It should now be on by default again, for Android guests.

Thanks
Mike

Back