9" plate holder

Trish

True Grumbler
Framing a 9" plate with some curve to it in a shadow box. Do they make a clear plate holder like the things you use for coins, etc?

Framing a 9" plate with some curve to it in a shadow box. Do they make a clear plate holder like the things you use for coins, etc?
Yes..as long as it isn't very heavy.
Otherwise I would use formed rods with tubing where it touches the plate even though it won't be clear like the Mighty Mounts.

Otherwise I would use formed rods with tubing where it touches the plate even though it won't be clear like the Mighty Mounts.
Thanks I was drawing a blank. Ive used Mighty Mounts for other objects, this is the first Plate request.

Be careful. Some people have reported that the plastic used to make those does not age well, and may experience crazing and eventual failure. If you do use them, I would recommend being sure to use UV filtering glass to reduce UV exposure to the plastic mounts, even if the plate itself might not seem to need it.
:cool: Rick

Good luck with your
Be careful. Some people have reported that the plastic used to make those does not age well, and may experience crazing and eventual failure. If you do use them, I would recommend being sure to use UV filtering glass to reduce UV exposure to the plastic mounts, even if the plate itself might not seem to need it.
:cool: Rick
I agree, Rick.
That's why I mentioned the weight factor.
The UV glass suggestion is a good one especially since the frame will be pretty small and the UV glass will just be a few dollars more on that job.

For what it's worth in the Mighty Mounts description, they say "it is very strong" so maybe they have improved their mounts over the years.
Screen Shot 2019-12-03 at 8.16.03 PM.png

I haven't used Mighty Mounts for many years.
We have a laser cutter and we make our own mounts, so it's hard to say what they are like now.

Last edited:
For what it's worth in the Mighty Mounts description, they say "it is very strong" so maybe they have improved their mounts over the years.
Yes, polycarbonate is a very strong material, but over time it can be weakened by exposure to light. Blocking ultraviolet certainly would help, but visible light is harmful, as well - it just takes longer.

I may be mistaken, but I believe the early Mighty Mounts were molded out of acrylic, which is much less susceptible to deterioration from light.

These days I custom-make plate mounts out of .029", .032", or similar diameter piano wire. It's very supportive, cost effective, and quite easy - just trim and form the rods to fit contours of the plate's back and cover the ends (segments in contact with the plate) with matte black polyolefin shrink tubing; paint visible parts to match if desired.

Plan two or more spans to cross the area with multiple intersections, including hanging provisions. Then you have to bond the intersections together and there must be several ways to do that. Perhaps you could twist the wires together or crimp them, but I generally use tightly-wrapped cord saturated with cyanoacrylate (Super Glue). Or, even better, wrap the intersections with flexible copper wire and solder them.

Good luck with your

I agree, Rick.
That's why I mentioned the weight factor.
The UV glass suggestion is a good one especially since the frame will be pretty small and the UV glass will just be a few dollars more on that job.

View attachment 32315
I haven't used Mighty Mounts for many years.
We have a laser cutter and we make our own mounts, so it's hard to say what they are like now.

Neil, can you share any photos, or videos of how you make mounts with the Laser Cutter?
I would love a new Toy...er...Tool, but need a reason to spend the money.

Brian

Back