Question 8-Ply Cutting

Micah

True Grumbler
Business
Washington Color Gallery
Folks:

I am using a Logan 850 for mat-cutting.

When I try to cut 8-ply mats, the blade does not go all the way through the matboard. The only way I can make it go through is to extend the blade by 1/8" or a bit more. But when I do that, the blade flexes as I push it into the matboard, creating a curve at the start of the cut.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Micah

Folks:

I am using a Logan 850 for mat-cutting.

When I try to cut 8-ply mats, the blade does not go all the way through the matboard. The only way I can make it go through is to extend the blade by 1/8" or a bit more. But when I do that, the blade flexes as I push it into the matboard, creating a curve at the start of the cut.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Micah
you probably need to try a sngle edge blade. SE blades are much stiffer.

Hmm. As far as I know, the only blade that fits the 850 is the 267. It is the only blade that Logan lists. Is there another blade that fits?

The blade size 1.75 x .75….most any blade that size should fit.

is the 267 blade a single or double edge?

Make a scoring cut first then a finishing cut. The blade will then stay true to the straight line. Stiffer blades would help but the scoring cut will help more.

Make a scoring cut first then a finishing cut. The blade will then stay true to the straight line. Stiffer blades would help but the scoring cut will help more.
Oh, that makes sense. It seems like it'd be a bit of a pain (score, adjust blade, cut), but less of a pain that imperfect corners!

No the 267 is a double edge blade. A single edge can only be used in one direction. The 268 is the one for 8 ply.
The 268 is the right blade for 8-ply with a Logan 550 mat cutter, but it is not the same size as the cutter in the 850. The 850's blade (267) is 1.75" long but the 268 is only 1.5" long. I guess it would still work, by screwing it in far....

The 268 is the right blade for 8-ply with a Logan 550 mat cutter, but it is not the same size as the cutter in the 850. The 850's blade (267) is 1.75" long but the 268 is only 1.5" long. I guess it would still work, by screwing it in far....
The 268 is also 1.75”, not sure why you think it is not. Look it up on the logan site…it shows it to be the same size as the 267.

Attachments

• D7F02711-2C25-4311-909B-F86EF3A1879B.jpeg
    D7F02711-2C25-4311-909B-F86EF3A1879B.jpeg
    61 KB · Views: 5
The 550 uses a 270 blade which is 1.5”

I have a Phaedra Chronomat which is what the Logan 850 was in a previous life. I have always used the Fletcher blades.

F05012-2T.jpg

05-012_1c4fd6bd-7d33-40b8-b97c-629ca3acb313_450x.jpg

The dimensions are the same as the 267.

When cutting 8-ply, I used a thicker blade, the .015" or .017". The standard .012" blade has a tendency to hook on thicker mats. You do have to adjust the depth when cutting thicker mats.

Technically they are all single edge blades as only one edge is sharpened, as opposed to the old safety razor double edged blades.
The variable is that some have an asymmetric single bevel and others have a symmetric double bevel.

I've only used one manual cutter that can consistently cut 8-ply in a single pass and that was a manual Gunnar. All the others have required multiple passes, incrementally extending the blade.

Oh, that makes sense. It seems like it'd be a bit of a pain (score, adjust blade, cut), but less of a pain that imperfect corners!
I never re-adjusted the depth. I just setup the correct depth for 8-ply at the beginning of the procedure. It's been some time so I don't remember whether I made the 4 scoring cuts then the 4 finishing cuts or scored and finished each side at the same time. Experiment with some scraps.

Back