• Welcome to the largest and friendlest resource for picture framers! Please LOG IN or REGISTER a free account.
    Once logged in, you will be able to SEARCH our archives.
    If you can't remember your password, CLICK HERE to reset it. Trouble? Click the CONTACT US link.

3M 811 Scotch Removable tape better than Lineco, UKIT, PH7-70, Filmoplast tapes?

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

slipknoize

Grumbler in Training
Business
Hello!,

I'm a newbie in the art of framing, and I believe I need a double opinion on what I was suggested today.

I recently decided to frame myself some art prints I have been buying. Today I went to a restoration and conservation specialized store to buy some tape for hinging an art print (float mount style).
I asked for a tape that would hold my print (12 x 14 Inches) and I would like to be able to remove the print from the frame in 10 or 20 years with the least damage possible.

They have all the types of Lineco, UKIT, PH7-70, Filmoplast tapes in the store, paper, linen, auto-adhesive, gummed, etc.. But I was recommend the 3M 811 Scotch Removable tape since it would be the tape that would leave the least marks on the print if removed in 10 years, non of the other tapes would be possible to remove with leaving marks, and would require the use of benzine to do so. They referred that it is absolutely acid-free, neutral ph, and the safest.

I ended up buying it, but not total convinced that a removable tape that I can buy in a supermarket is the best option. Can you help a newbie confirming that this is the best option for what I want?
4720_fita-amovivel-celo-scotch-19mm-x-33m_pt.jpg

Thank you!!

Last edited:

David Hewitt

MGF, Master Grumble Framer
Forum Donor
There is so much to be said here.
So I will keep it simple until you have the opportunity to learn more.
Lets assume the prints have lets say a white, negative border.
First, no on the 811, it is an extremely temporary tape. ( Think post-it )
If you don't want residue, I would suggest corner pockets. The prints can be installed and removed easily.
If you" have" to use a tape, one that is simple, lasts a long time and is easy to install and remove would be Filmoplast P-90. And yes, it as well as all others ( pressure sensitive tapes ) will leave a residue.
Learn more on archival ways to display works of art on paper. You're off to a good start here on the Grumble.

slipknoize

Grumbler in Training
Business
Thank you for your insightful reply David.

The art print I'm about to frame has deckled edges that I would like to display. So the idea of a floating mount and the requirement of a tape to fix the art into the board.

Filmoplast P-90 seems more adequate for what I'm looking for (and it is more newbie friendly compared to cook starch glue). I'll continue my research for the best methods here on the Grumble :)

Nikodeumus

SGF, Supreme Grumble Framer
Welcome to the Grumble!
Yes, starting to learn good techniques at the start is a good choice.
This topic comes up fairly often.

Here are some links that may be useful to you:

Do lots of research, ask lots of questions.
That's why we are all here.
:thumbsup:

Vermont Hardwoods solid wood picture frame molding

Ylva

SPFG, Supreme Picture Framing God
Forum Support Team
Forum Donor
Welcome to the G.

I rarely use any tape and certainly not on something that might have value. First rule of framing is 'do no harm'.

Anything tape, pressure sensitive materials, might fail overtime. Say 90% chance will fail (also depending on circumstances. If it does, it will most certainly damage the print.

Doing a true float mount requires a little more than just a piece of tape.

Larry Peterson

PFG, Picture Framing God
Forum Donor
Resource Provider
What's are yous guyz doing. Donts yous nose that we are supposed to heap scorn and condensation on newbies. We live to put down newbies and here you guyz are helping said newbie. Am I in the wrong forum? Whoops..........This isn't reddit or others of that ilk. We actually help. While I have nothing of any value to contribute to this thread, I wish you welcome.

f908d5d929a9db9d19cd68ac94999d99.jpg

welcome-back-now-get-to-work.jpg

Register for the picture framer's grumble

slipknoize

Grumbler in Training
Business
Welcome to the G.

I rarely use any tape and certainly not on something that might have value. First rule of framing is 'do no harm'.

Anything tape, pressure sensitive materials, might fail overtime. Say 90% chance will fail (also depending on circumstances. If it does, it will most certainly damage the print.

Doing a true float mount requires a little more than just a piece of tape.
Thanks! I'll certainly ditch the scotch tape and do my research.

What's are yous guyz doing. Donts yous nose that we are supposed to heap scorn and condensation on newbies. We live to put down newbies and here you guyz are helping said newbie. Am I in the wrong forum? Whoops..........This isn't reddit or others of that ilk. We actually help. While I have nothing of any value to contribute to this thread, I wish you welcome.
Thank you for the warm welcome Larry šŸ˜„

Don't mind Larry, he's a bit weird (probably has been framing for too long)
;)

Also, anything in green text is considered sarcasm here. Just so you know!

Noted :)

LifeSaver Cloud from LifeSaver Software, Inc.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)
Business
Retired

We can bash the shop for bum advice though :)
Are you in UK, slipknoize?

UKIT (uk industrial tapes) have some interesting product codes

Attachments

• 55263A13-FC62-40B1-A07E-202336A5BA65.jpeg
    55263A13-FC62-40B1-A07E-202336A5BA65.jpeg
    150.5 KB · Views: 10

slipknoize

Grumbler in Training
Business
I'm in Portugal :)

FUKITSPINETAPE, nice Ref. šŸ˜‚

Btw, how their products compare to Lineco for example? UKIT is a bit cheaper than Lineco here.

RoboFramer

PFG, Picture Framing God
United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)
Business
Retired
Btw, how their products compare to Lineco for example? UKIT is a bit cheaper than Lineco here.
Lineco do far more framing-specific stuff and better quality. UKIT's PH7-70 tape is not good but their PH7-70 ATG tape is OK ad nso is their gummed linen tape.

CHolt

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level 2
Register for the picture framer's grumble
WADR, How about letting a professional framer do the hinge-mount only and you do the rest? I commend your DIY approach, but inexperience can cause damage just as much as using improper materials.

Springlock by Craft Inc