3D Paper Tole Frame

Reuben Carlsen

Grumbler in Training
Founding Member
Aug 21, 1998
Sydney, NSW, Australia
This frame may not be as grandiose as some of the designs posted here before but I thought it may be a novelty for some of you that have not seen Paper Tole before. 3D paper Tole is a craft whereby you take several copies of the same print and through several processes you create a 3 dimensional picture of the original. As you can see from the pic I have framed two of them in one from with 4 staggered mats. The whole thing is about 1 3/4" deep and looks quite effective. We teach this craft here at our gallery and have many ladies and the occasional guy who come to our regular workshops.

Reuben Carlsen

Here's the picture..


[This message has been edited by framer (edited 05-11-99).]
I don't get much of this type of art,but I have a problem with the name.
The technique you are describeing is called De Coupage (Of cuttings loosely translated) in this area.In fact my wife used to use it to embelish wedding invataions and even wooden purses some years back. Tooleing that I am familiar with is a technique by which small strips of colored paper are curled arond a sloted impliment and these curls are configured with small clipings and beads to form a sort of swirling floral pattern and these designs are used to decorate other objects.I do have a customer that uses this technique to decorate invitations and even mats for photographs.
As I said I don't frame much of this but if you will please correct my misunderstanding.
No matter what it is called your work is very nice and I wish there would be more grumblers contributeing to the section.
In the early 70's I worked in an (independant)art and craft supply store and taught decoupage and paper tole. Decoupage was done by cutting out a print, sealing it, glueing it to a board (plaque, box, and a "biggie" wooden pocketbooks.) Then the print was embedded in dozens of coats of lacquer, which were "wet" sanded between coats. The objective was to so immerse the print that you couldn't even feel it, and it seemed "painted" on the object. It was a very big thing, right up there with macrame. (Oh those were the days!)

Paper tole, was indeed several prints with objects in the prints cut out and layered with silicone glue to build them up to give a 3-d look. The most popular prints were Holly Hobby (with her little puffy bonnet), and Norman Rockwell, and another one that I can't remember the name. The scenes were "general store" settings where things in the scene could be raised, and flower prints to make the petals dimensional.

Tole painting, on the other hand originally meant "painting on tin" but came to mean any type of decorative painting.

Now, there you have your craft history lesson for this morning...

Thanks Betty I did indeed have decoupage miked up with tooleing. But now that I have shown one aspect of my ignoranace would you please tell me what that craft that uses a sloted screw driver like tool to curl the paper stips is called.
It is also a three demensional technique and the curls look something like S curls or wrought iron.
Thanks for correcting my calling what my wife did Decoupage. she did in deed use silicone to layer the floral prints so as to make the flowers three demensional.
Buddy I'll have to think on that one a while. I do remember that type of tool being used with aluminum cans to make rocking chairs, and other things with lots of curliques. I may even have some of the old how to books somewhere. When you sell that stuff, you have to know how to do it all!

Of course my favorite thing in the store was the custom framing!

Buddy, That curlie technique is called "quilling" and I do not know how it got its name. Only that I have a customer who decorates wedding invitations with it and she does absolutely amazing work.

Betty, you weren't making a dispagaging remark about macrame, were you? It will come to no surprise that I did a lot of macrame in the sixties and seventies, but no owls or plant hangers, I did three dimensional asymmetrical sculptures and wall hangings (and I worked mostly with varying thicknesses of white cotton cord). I could never part with any of these and after my fire they were all a mess from the smoke so after I washed and dried them I gessoed. Now they really are sculptures!
Quilling, yeah that's it. I had completely forgotten about it. We did frame some of that too.

ME??? An old hippie speak disparagingly about macrame??? NEVER! Selling macrame jewelry was my first venture into capitalism at age 17! And just last week I did a macrame necklace for my 15 year old son. I started to do a warped thread on "A Blast from the Past", but I never got around to it.

I've taught macrame and even designed pieces. I came up with a formula to determine how long the cord needed to be cut. I did purses, plant hangers, wall hangers, towel hangers, owls both large and keychain small. Man, I did it all.

Like I said, those were the days. (Don't ask me what kind of days, just "the days"!)

(I think I feel a "frankenthread" coming on)
Framar and Betty and Rueben: thanks for reminding me of what I seemed to have forgotten. As little as I seem to know I sware between My wife and I we have done all of these crafts as well as Macrame and stained glass as well as Xstitch, drawing and some painting.
But the thing I seem to have forgotten the most is my Manners. Rueben I should have posted this in the warped section . And not have interfered with the credit your work so rightly deserevs. Very interesting work Rueben.I hope we see more like it .
Oh, those were the days. Macreme is responsible for my sore knuckles today. Rosemalling was another biggie in this area. Quilling, silk flowers, latch hook rugs. What didn't we sell until custom framing squeesed out the rest. Thank Goodness.

Sorry about the diversion but after reading it all just had to add.
<blockquote>quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Framar:
Buddy, That curlie technique is called "quilling" and I do not know how it got its name. Only that I have a customer who decorates wedding invitations with it and she does absolutely amazing work. <hr></blockquote>

It used to be done with a feather quill, hence the name. Now you can get little metal tools to do the job, thus saving us from thousands of little birds running around nekkid.

The February issue of Martha Stewart Living has an article on this technique, including projects like greeting cards, decorated boxes, and yes, even mats for framed pictures.