Thread: New computer

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer couture's gallery's Avatar
    Sarasota, Florida winter/Young Harris, Ga summer

Default New computer

My desktop was toast so my IT buddy ( neighbor) built me a new computer with Windows 8.1 and set it up so I have both that and my old Windows 7 that I can flip back and forth when I want. I prefer the 7, but maybe will get to like the 8 when I play with it long enough. What do you guys think of Windows 8.1 ?
    Dick & Allora Couture
  2. Thread Sponsor
The CMC Doctor

PFG Picture Framing God Larry Peterson's Avatar

Default Re: New computer

If you get rid of the Surface interface and use the desktop it is just peachy. I did a new build a few months ago with W8 (now 8.1) and moved my W7 build to the shop. I installed Start Menu 8 to add the missing start button and all is well.

On a side note, I am annoyed by all the product placement that MS has done for W8. It seems you can't watch anything without seeing some one using a PC, Phone or Tablet with that annoying Surface screen. Years from now, people are going to be watching reruns of these old shows and laugh at the quaint Surface technology or be just as annoyed by it.

I don't see any reason to use both. Use W8 or W7 - I would think that you will be just fine with W8.

Shows that use W8 product placement
    Arrow
    NCIS Los Angeles
    Hawaii 50
    Under the Dome
    Sherlock
    Suburgatory
    Bones

And probably a whole bunch more

The Geeks on NCIS Los Angeles wouldn't be caught dead in real life using Surface nor would Hiro.

thePaperFramer.Com
    http://www.thepaperframer.com/libtpf/frames/Fr222CS.jpg

click there for >>>>>>>The Framing Manuals Page<<<<<<<< click there for

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

I hate Microshaft Windows 8. I still have WinXP. I purchased about 2 years ago a laptop with Windows 7. I do like Windows 7 because there isn't too much of a difference between Win7 and WinXP. I betcha the NEXT one will be a lot better than Win8. Microshaft likes to play "Russian Rulette" when it come to developing software. Over the past years, "every other one" they ever come out with has been a fLOp... Win8 is one of them!

"Windows 9 coming in 2015, will try its hardest to distance itself from the Windows 8 train wreck."

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Jeff Rodier's Avatar

I bought the wife a Windows 8 laptop which she uses daily. She is clickity, click, click, click with any computer so she hasn't bothered to learn anything about it and uses the 7 laptop for items she would need to learn on the new one. From what I have seen of it I like many features but haven't used it so I don't know how long it might take to get used to performing real tasks with it.
    Art & Frame Outlet
    204 George Bishop Pkwy
    (Across from the Hard Rock Park)
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
    (843) 236-4370

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Rick Bergeron - CPF's Avatar

Windows 8.1 on a touch device is GREAT. On a mouse driven device, it's sorta sucky.

I love my original SurfaceRT w/ keyboard that has been updated to Win8.1RT. I wish I had bought 2 more Surface tablets instead of the 2 Galaxy tablets at Christmas. After trying a Win8Pro HP Envy and Lenovo WinRT tablet, the MSFT version runs circles around them.

One thing about the SurfaceRT or Surface2 is that you are almost forced to use the Win8 interface. Once you use it for a little while without the aid of falling back on the previous desktop interfaces, you find that it grows on you pretty quickly.

You can actually do 'real' work on the Windows tablets since MSFT Office is included and comes CHEAP if you have to pay for it. I haven't found much work use for the Galaxy Androids.
    Rick - Coeur d'Alene, ID
    formerly:Rockeby's Custom Framing

ChainWeavers.com precious metal jumprings

PFG Picture Framing God Peter Odems's Avatar

Doe mij maar een Super King Burger Speciaal s.v.p.!!!

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer David N Waldmann's Avatar

The only functional difference I see between 7 & 8 is that the Start Menu looks a bit different, but it still works the same. Press the Window key, start typing, and there is your application or document. Everyday apps and docs can be pinned to the taskbar and you never even see the Metro interface.

But nobody likes change...
    David Waldmann
    President
    Vermont Hardwoods est. 1979
    "The picture we frame of the past changes continually and grows every day less similar to the original experience which it purports to describe." - George Santayana

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Steve Collins's Avatar

I don't mind change, except when it's gratuitous. Yeah, I know, gratuitous is different for everyone. But in this case, Metro is gratuitous in the absolute sense. It's also ugly.

I'm being obnoxious; I know.

Grumble Moderator Team Mike Labbe's Avatar

I agree with you, Steve I also agree that change sucks for us old grumpy curmudgeons.

I beta tested it for them 6+ months before it was released, and didn't care for Metro at ALL. Windows seem to pop up when they want, its hard to find basic things, etc. If I was using it on a touch screen computer, I'd probably have a different opinion. To me it read like a gateway to get people hooked to buy one of their new tablets. It can be configured to have the familiiar Windows 95/98/2001(XP) look.

But as an operating system, it is probably the most stable one yet. That said, I still use Windows 7 for my own computers

Mike
    -------------------------------------
    More Wagging - Less BARKING

Get The Picture Framing in Lincoln, RI

PFG Picture Framing God Pat Murphey's Avatar

I have Win7 at home and Win8.1 on two shop computers. I started out hating 8, but I find that the desktop works as well or better once I found a free start menu, a free desktop Free Cell Solitaire and that my clock, calendar and weather gadgets work. Google Earth finally works. Kindle for win7 works on the desktop. Outlook on the desktop works with pop3 servers now. I put a few utilities like Control Panel on the taskbar. My only loss now is the tape calculator that I got from PC Magazine back in win98 days. There is no reason not to move on to win8.1, the desktop works just fine and there are even a few gems on the Metro side.
    Pat

Grumble Moderator Team Mike Labbe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Murphey View Post
    My only loss now is the tape calculator that I got from PC Magazine back in win98 days.
    Is this what you are looking for? http://download.cnet.com/CalcTape/30...7_4-90456.html
    -------------------------------------
    More Wagging - Less BARKING

Get The Picture Framing in Lincoln, RI

PFG Picture Framing God Pat Murphey's Avatar

Thanks, Mike
    Pat

• Thread Sponsor
    The CMC Doctor

• Go