Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crescent Couture

Grumbler

Default Re: Crescent Couture

Does any one know of a Canadian distributor that has it?

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Grey Owl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cjmst3k View Post
    Just saw this video on Youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BRHFtHBB24

Looks like a nice premium product. It would go well with our shop.

Anyone know how well they cut, particularly on a manual fletcher?
    Chris, it cuts fine. Well, it cuts fine on my C&H, and used my regular method of cutting 8 ply.

I bought a sheet of the "Silver Birch", 1309. Checked the thickness against a regular sheet of Crescent 8-ply rag 2238 and found the thickness the same. Did a test cut for mat blade depth on a piece of the 2238 so I would not have over-cuts.

Then put in a new blade 1200SE, used an undermat, laid the sized piece of Silver Birch face down on the under-mat, and did 4 passes on each side. The first pass lightly scored the mat, the second more, the 3 more, and the last pass cut through. I then did the 3 remaining sides, the same way, with the same blade. (total of 16 swipes on 1 blade), Then checked, and great! Great corners and no over-cuts.

I was also impressed with how well the packing was. I was concerned about possible corner damage. Well, the mat has a coversheet. It is then placed in a black bag. This is then in a carton inter-liner that supports the edges. Then the whole thing is placed into a single box.

The only thing that was surprising is there is nothing on the outside of the box saying which mat it is. The outside of the box did say Crescent Courture, but it did not give a specific number. So, hypothetically, if you ordered 3 or 4 and they were all different, you would need to ask your distributor to write on the outside of the box re: which it was. Otherwise you would have to open each one.

I love the mat, and my customer will too. I'm having her come back in to confirm the frame choice. After seeing how well the mat looks, she may want to change to something else.

A couple of observations. The pattern on the Silver Birch is horizontal, but there is some variation on the colors in different parts of the mat so after I sized the mat, I laid the artwork with the mat to see which was better on top or bottom. Likewise, on any mat that has a horizontal pattern, I made sure I cut it horizontally.

The design for this mat, for this artwork is very simple. It is a print of a dark wolf with a dark background, and the black 8 ply bevel is great.

If I was to use a design for say a double mat, I would probably go, for the bottom window mat, with a white 8-ply which I would paint. With a reveal of 1/8 to 1/2 inch, a grey variegated mat would have looked nice. But that would have even added more to the bill.

Overall, I wonderful product. Thanks Crescent!
    Russ Wood / Grey Owl Framing
    Original Art and Specialty Pieces Deserve Uncommon Frames

www.GreyOwlFraming.com
    http://www.facebook.com/GreyOwlFraming

I called about getting a corner set and they're out for at least a couple weeks.
    Pining...
    Not all barking spiders are a bad thing as long as they bring in the bacon once a year. ~ Jeff Rodier

PFG Picture Framing God Artrageous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by shayla View Post
    Pining...

...for the fjords?
    Mark

Our Coutures finally came in!

I had ordered them in April, but had to wait for a back-order. Hopefully, that means
    lots of people decided to carry them. My design area is so small, I decided to just
    showcase these by putting them in the gallery area. Do you have yours yet?

Not all barking spiders are a bad thing as long as they bring in the bacon once a year. ~ Jeff Rodier

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Ylva's Avatar

I did not order them yet, my distributor has the set and I have seen them at least.

I am still waiting to see how they cut???????? Anyone made samples yet? Sold it? Used it? Would love to know!

I really like the idea of the pebbly looking ones with no glass over them,
    like if they were cut with bits of mirror showing through everywhere,
    but being matboard, it seems to me they'd have the problems inherent
    to that. I usually tell people that matboard needs to be behind glass
    due to the way it interacts with humidity, fades without glazing, can't
    easily be cleaned, etc... I'm curious as to what the finish is on the
    pebbly looking mats, and it fades just as easily as regular matboard.
    Am guessing the answer is yes?

I would assume that those surfaces require a spacer between them and
    museum glass, lest the rough surface somehow scratch it, but I'm curious
    as to whether the other mats need a spacer as well. Too, I'm wondering
    if they would offgas in any way and whether a deeper spacer would have
    any effect at lessening ghosting.

We received ours last month - the retail price is staggering.

My concern is the stability of the black pebbles #1305. It "sheds" tiny dark particles along the cuts(straight and bevel). This doesn't fair well with me especially in a light background.

Several customers have asked, but no commitments as of yet.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Ylva's Avatar

I have a customer who probably would be interested in them, especially the pebbly one. Money is no objection at all (his last order was over $1200 and he was prepared to pay a lot more and was happily surprised, oh how I love those customers but am getting off track here)

So I looked at the pebbly one and was sincerely wondering how those would cut. I could see it ripping right at a pebble for instance, or not getting as straight a cut as I would like.

PFG Picture Framing God Artrageous's Avatar

Our Coutures finally came in!

I had ordered them in April, but had to wait for a back-order. Hopefully, that means
    lots of people decided to carry them. My design area is so small, I decided to just
    showcase these by putting them in the gallery area.
    Don't be surprised if your supplier doesn't have them and has to wait until the next time they order to get the mat you need. Allow extra lead time for the mats to arrive.

Decor moulding is not stocking every item and they have very limited supply of what they are stocking.
    Mark

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer mona's Avatar

I priced one out for a 16 x 20 and spit my coffee out when the price came up. I can sell museum glass just look at it, and how long do you intend to keep this piece. These mats ohh I love them but seem trendy and way over priced. Are we just coming out of a recession? These are for the 1% and those people are not my bread and butter. I wish they had come out with something that all of the framing industry could sell and be excited about it. Is that real gold on the gold leaf, cause I am going to go sell my sample!

PFG Picture Framing God RParrish's Avatar

Don't decide the price for the customer! They are lovely boards for the right design and they will make you a hefty profit.
    Randy Parrish CPF, Parrish Fine Framing & Art

PPFA on Facebook Great Lakes PPFA
    Director: PPFA Board of Directors, GLPPFA President

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Joe B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mona View Post
    I priced one out for a 16 x 20 and spit my coffee out when the price came up. I can sell museum glass just look at it, and how long do you intend to keep this piece. These mats ohh I love them but seem trendy and way over priced. Are we just coming out of a recession? These are for the 1% and those people are not my bread and butter. I wish they had come out with something that all of the framing industry could sell and be excited about it. Is that real gold on the gold leaf, cause I am going to go sell my sample!
    You are right, they are pricy and are maybe for only 1% of a market. I do sell them to that 1% (and more) and that 1% and I really like them. It is a very good profit and IMO well worth showing.

I am surprised at who does buy them. As far as being overpriced and trendy, the same was said about fabric wrapped and suede mats and both of them are still around and a big part of the custom framing market. Personally, for the quality of the Couture mat I don't believe they are overpriced.

If we have a negative feeling about the Crescent Couture mats that feeling will show through to our customers. If our customers see we have concerns I can pretty much guarantee they won't buy them. Be positive and they do sell, especially for those wedding, new born, family, & some of the original art. Just my $0.02. Joe B
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    Just my $0.02. Joe B
    This being the Couture thread, I prefer to think of it as your $2.00.

MGF Master Grumble Framer Cavalier's Avatar

We just ordered the samples at the Don Mar show yesterday. Honestly, it doesn't hurt to have it (well, $70, but if you sell one, you make that up in the profit, and if you sell/order two sheets, you get the credit back) and you never know -- that one client with the large wall to fill may make it worth the initial #####.

Can't wait to get them and try them out! One thing I learned: show them first, let the client get sticker shock, show them something else, and they end up going back to the first one because, wow, does it look amazing!

Work:
    Play: Email There's Art Here!
    ...but I digress like a Burroughs novel.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Joe B's Avatar

This being the Couture thread, I prefer to think of it as your $2.00.
    I aways get a smile out of your comebacks!
    "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools talk because they have to say something."

heh heh heh.....in that case, my mission has been accomplished.

As for price, I know they cost boatload, but for years I never even offered
    museum glass because I assumed nobody would buy it. I finally realized that
    was just a tad bit presumptuous on my part and started offering it. Guess
    what? Some people buy it, and as long as we can make money at that, then
    everybody's happy. I figure, why not give the Couture mats the same chance?

18. Thread Sponsor
Sponsor Wanted

Call (401) 619-4335 to become a sponsor today.

Go
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123