Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Framing Eggs

Lightbulb Framing Eggs

Hello all,

I have somewhat of a new framing challenge. My client has a collection of 31 eggs. All painted with each NHL hockey team logo.

The client would prefer to not have any fastener (ie. clear thread) over the eggs.

I have thought about cutting 31 egg shaped openings, so the eggs can sit slightly below the back mat. Behind the back mat would be a layer of soft-ish foam. (upholstery type). Then have the top mats sit slightly below the top of the eggs, and have the glass just add enough pressure to hold the eggs in their spots, within the openings.

My thinking is the foam below would be a bit of a shock-absorber, in case any pressure were to be place on the glass.
    The eggs have been clear coated, so there must be some added strength to the eggs.

- But this is just one idea.
    Does anyone here have experience in framing eggs?
    egg.JPG
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God prospero's Avatar

Default Re: Framing Eggs

Never framed any eggs.

But, if they are real eggs they will have been blown. This involves drill small holes in the top and bottom. These holes will still be present although they may have been painted over or otherwise filled in. Sometimes they are blown using one big hole, in which case you would have to drill another. Doesn't have to be very big.
    If you can find the holes, you could put some fine thread though and use this to hold them down and from a normal viewing angle would not be seen. I wouldn't try the pressure thing. Eggs are quite weak sideways.
    Me transmitte sursum Caledoni.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

How about an egg crate "strip" made from clear acrylic.

Look at specimen cases for design ideas.

http://www.conservationresources.com...ction10_16.htm a product that might help in the design.

Since there will be no exact duplication because of variances in the egg shape and size, I would anticipate tedious labor requirements and charge accordingly.
    Team Frame Fest 2015

Wally Fay
    Sunshine Frames

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Ylva's Avatar

The problem with your design is the glass holding it in place. I would never do that. A little pressure on the glass would break the egg. If there ever is an accident and the glass breaks, so will the eggs.

I think, in this case, I might build something more like a cabinet, with a door and shelves (could be made out of mat board strips) and display the eggs, i egg cups (maybe clear acrylic ones).

Or have small acrylic boxes built, to fit each egg perfectly and frame them.

I don't think I would use any existing holes in them, the best you could do with that is thread something through that, but I would be nervous to do anything like that and the thread might make the holes even more brittle?

Another option would be to cut the top mat, the same way you would do the back board, with slightly smaller opening to keep the egg in place and have the glass floated far away from that. Of course you would not be able to see the whole egg, just the face.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Thats a first. Once you manage to do, upload a photo
    I could be wrong, I could be right

Kwik Picture Framing, UK - www.kwikpictureframing.co.uk
    www.anysizepictureframe.co.uk

MGF Master Grumble Framer MarkyW's Avatar

I have never framed an egg, but I do have a lot of experience working with eggs as I do pysanky - Ukranian Easter Eggs.

Prospero said that if they are real eggs they will have been blown out. Not necessarily. Some people prefer not to blow out their eggs. There's always a chance that you will crack the egg when you go to blow it out. With pysanky, you usually blow them out after doing all the work (it's easier to keep the egg under the water dye while it's not blown out), so some people don't want to take that chance. If these are actually painted, then it's much easier to blow them out before they are painted.

Besides checking to see if there is a hole or holes on the end of the egg, a very obvious way to tell is that a blown egg will be much lighter than a full egg.

For the people that don't blow them out, it's really not a good idea. They may say they never had any problem, but you never know. It may not be in a year or two, or in 5 or maybe even 10 years, but that chances are good that an unblown egg will pop. And it's not just a hairline crack. It pops. And it stinks. I had several eggs that were unblown that my mother had bought many years ago at various places. They were good for quite a while. But, eventually, all but one has popped. And that one may eventually pop sometime, too.

All of that is to say that if, by chance, they aren't blown out, you can tell the person not to be surprised in the future if something happens. Or see if the artist will blow them out. I wouldn't necessarily try it yourself if you don't have the experience. The flute on a regular drill bit can catch the shell just as it goes through and put a crack in the egg.

Also, I would not do the string through the holes. Then you've got a very narrow pressure point on the edge of the egg shell and if it gets bounced around a little going home on a bumpy road, it will likely crack the egg.

I haven't off the top of my head thought of what would be good to do, but I will give it some thought. I just wanted to get the what not to do out there first.
    God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do like, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Ylva's Avatar

Cool information Marky!

would you mind posting some photos of your creations?? I am sure I am not alone in wanting to see some!!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

The eggs weren't blown out with two holes. There is one hole hole in the bottom.
    This hole has a decorative cover.egg-bottom.jpg

The client has said they don't really want clear thread over the eggs. They did say they would accept "one" thread over the egg.
    Tying the egg either vertically or horizontally.

I was thinking that there may be a product that is like a "flexible" mylar. Like a clear, flat strip that could be cut, and be secured flat against each egg. So if I were to cut strips that were ~1/8" to function as "egg belts"
    Another idea would be to cut a cross out of a clear material (like a + sign) . So that the egg can be secured from top to bottom, and around the sides.

Does anyone know of such a material?

I might just try using mylar, and try to make the fasteners as small and as invisible as possible.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

One issue with the glass-touch idea is that the constant expansion/contraction cycles would create a rubbing action between the glass and the eggs, which would soon abrade the paint at the point of contact. That phenomenon will actually rub the printing off a golf ball, which is certainly more durable than the finish on your eggs.

You could make a Direct Contact Overlay (DCO) using fine mesh French silk organdy called Crepeline. Wrap the item like a lollipop and pull the ends of the fabric through a small (say, 1" x 1-1/4") oval-shaped opening in the mounting board. Glue the fabric to the back of the mounting board, or use Velcro "hook" fastener to hold the weave of the silk.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Rick Granick's Avatar

Go with Jim's Crepeline idea. How in the world would you expect "one thread" across an egg to hold it in place? That is an unrealistic expectation on your customer's part.
    Rick

PFG Picture Framing God FramerDave's Avatar

"Hello Mr. Framer. My you have a lovely store and I see you've been doing this for twenty years. I've heard great things about your expertise. Now I know you're the expert so I'm going to trust you to frame this. Now let me just go ahead and put restrictions on you that will make it impossible to do your job. Thanks."

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Framing Goddess's Avatar

I am "thirding" Jim's crepeline method; it is perfect for this project. Don't rule it out without seeing it first. The mesh (in just the right color) can be nearly invisible. You can get some small pieces of tulle (-pronounced "tool"- at the local craft or fabric BB store) to check for color. If conservation is NOT a concern, you can use the tulle, as well. The crepeline is much finer and therefore less visible than the tulle, though.

edie the findtulleinthebridalsection goddess

I will look into the crepeline idea. It sounds like it would be a good solution.

I am also going to try my "mylar cross" idea.
    If I can pre-stretch the mylar or a more flexible material over an egg shape (maybe a sill-putty egg container), the mylar might form better to the shape of the egg.

egg-cross-idea.JPG

Just an idea at this point.
    This project is going to take me forever. 31 eggs. ugh...

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Rick Granick's Avatar

Jim's method would result in an unencumbered overall view of the eggs, whereas your idea would present a shiny cross across each egg which will be much more visually distracting than "one acceptable thread". Furthermore, the crepeline/tulle method would be relatively straightforward and quick to accomplish. If you want to make it tough on yourself, go ahead and try the mylar cross approach. But don't give away lots of time and frustration at bargain basement rates because you feel sorry for someone trying to buy a miracle on the cheap.
    Rick

BTW, Jim is a master and innovator of mylar strap mounting, but it is not what he recommended for this particular project.

MGF Master Grumble Framer kuluchicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Framing Goddess View Post
    I am "thirding" Jim's crepeline method; it is perfect for this project. Don't rule it out without seeing it first. The mesh (in just the right color) can be nearly invisible. You can get some small pieces of tulle (-pronounced "tool"- at the local craft or fabric BB store) to check for color. If conservation is NOT a concern, you can use the tulle, as well. The crepeline is much finer and therefore less visible than the tulle, though.

edie the findtulleinthebridalsection goddess
    Edie, would you mind explaining why the Tulle method is a concern for conservation framing?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Granick View Post
    Jim's method would result in an unencumbered overall view of the eggs, whereas your idea would present a shiny cross across each egg which will be much more visually distracting than "one acceptable thread". Furthermore, the crepeline/tulle method would be relatively straightforward and quick to accomplish. If you want to make it tough on yourself, go ahead and try the mylar cross approach. But don't give away lots of time and frustration at bargain basement rates because you feel sorry for someone trying to buy a miracle on the cheap.
    I will try the crepeline method. Luckily for this project, cost isn't an issue - but thanks for the added advice.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer MnSue's Avatar

What about making a frame, with a door, and create an acrylic shelve with perfectly spaced holes for the eggs to be placed in...
    the shelve(s) support "bracket" could be behind a mat..

Customer gets the display cabinet home, hangs it, opens the door, and places the decorated eggs in it....

(there are also tool organizers that an egg could sit into, or look for various egg cups from the decor' stores....)
    http://www.finehomedisplays.com/egg_...FUlf3godRzIAvw

(Like a spoon collection - and someone wants to be able to use the spoons at a later date...?????)
    "Men's natures are alike, it is their habits that carry them far apart." Confucius
    (MnSue is a Sales Rep for TC/International Moulding)

PFG Picture Framing God RoboFramer's Avatar
    United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)

That's OK, but why would the customer ever want to get the eggs back out of the frame? Reckon they're never reckoning on that.

You could get a basket ...........
    Stir frying ideas in the strategy wok

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Framing Goddess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kuluchicken View Post
    Edie, would you mind explaining why the Tulle method is a concern for conservation framing?
    http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread...ght=silk+quilt

This old thread explains the concerns of using tulle with a silk quilt. Maybe some of the same concerns would still apply to the painted eggs, maybe not.
    There ya go.
    edie the crazyquilted goddess

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II Acrylic Queen's Avatar

If you want tiny individual acrylic frames and then put them in a shadow box or rabbit (acrylic frame) I can help you with that. We've done some interesting stuff for Michael Mixon, Hanging Around Hoover frame shop and I think he checks this forum. Maybe, he can show you pictures. And tell him to send me pictures too.
    Lois aka \"The Acrylic Queen"\Toll Free (877) 422-7954
    Owner of "Superior Acrylic by Lois"
    More than 40 years of serving the Picture Framing Industry

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Framar's Avatar
    Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

Lightbulb Re: Framing Eggs

Along the lines of the Mylar strap(s), there is also the Invisimount product from Attach-EZ which is a slightly giving polypropylene in a matte finish. I have used this successfully in the past, although not on eggs.

MGF Master Grumble Framer kuluchicken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Framing Goddess View Post
    http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread...ght=silk+quilt

This old thread explains the concerns of using tulle with a silk quilt. Maybe some of the same concerns would still apply to the painted eggs, maybe not.
    There ya go.
    edie the crazyquilted goddess
    Thanks so much...wow, I'm impressed that you could whip up a 2001 thread so easily

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God blackiris's Avatar

I didn't read anyone's post beyond the OP.... Sorry if it's a repeat idea

My first thought was making a mat board cut out with all the shapes of the eggs....
    Then mounting it at a slight angle.... So the eggs can "sit" in the holes? Then just build up and under..
    Might look kinda cool.
    Sometimes my eye-rolls are the most exercise I get all day.......

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God prospero's Avatar

What sort of eggs are they anyway? I would assume chicken, but they might be duck. Goose eggs are very thick.
    Me transmitte sursum Caledoni.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer preservator's Avatar

Another very useful material for making nearly invisibile straps is Hollytex 3249 from Talas. This is the thinnest form of Hollytex that they sell and it is pure polyester and quite strong for its thickness.

Hugh
    Listen to the listeners.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

Quote Originally Posted by preservator View Post
    Another very useful material for making nearly invisibile straps is Hollytex 3249 from Talas. This is the thinnest form of Hollytex that they sell and it is pure polyester and quite strong for its thickness.
    Hugh
    Thanks for the Hollytex suggestion, Hugh. I believe that is the Hollytex number I used to wrap a document, and it is quite transparent. Since it has no gloss, I'm sure that would work better than the Mylar strap idea, both visually and structurally.

Grumbler

Smile Re: Framing Eggs

I have done some eggs and used tulle, which worked very well, however, never had that many eggs. We did one with 5 eggs in a vertical frame with ovals in the top mat. The others were just single eggs.

Thanks for the input everybody!

I'll post some pics when this piece is finished.

Here they are. Because nothing says hockey like eggs!
    NHL_Eggs.jpg

• Go
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast