Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Framing Eggs

Lightbulb Framing Eggs

Hello all,

I have somewhat of a new framing challenge. My client has a collection of 31 eggs. All painted with each NHL hockey team logo.

The client would prefer to not have any fastener (ie. clear thread) over the eggs.

I have thought about cutting 31 egg shaped openings, so the eggs can sit slightly below the back mat. Behind the back mat would be a layer of soft-ish foam. (upholstery type). Then have the top mats sit slightly below the top of the eggs, and have the glass just add enough pressure to hold the eggs in their spots, within the openings.

My thinking is the foam below would be a bit of a shock-absorber, in case any pressure were to be place on the glass.
    The eggs have been clear coated, so there must be some added strength to the eggs.

- But this is just one idea.
    Does anyone here have experience in framing eggs?
    egg.JPG
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God prospero's Avatar

Default Re: Framing Eggs

Never framed any eggs.

But, if they are real eggs they will have been blown. This involves drill small holes in the top and bottom. These holes will still be present although they may have been painted over or otherwise filled in. Sometimes they are blown using one big hole, in which case you would have to drill another. Doesn't have to be very big.
    If you can find the holes, you could put some fine thread though and use this to hold them down and from a normal viewing angle would not be seen. I wouldn't try the pressure thing. Eggs are quite weak sideways.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

How about an egg crate "strip" made from clear acrylic.

Look at specimen cases for design ideas.

http://www.conservationresources.com...ction10_16.htm a product that might help in the design.

Since there will be no exact duplication because of variances in the egg shape and size, I would anticipate tedious labor requirements and charge accordingly.
    Gravity hurts my feet.

Wally Fay
    Sunshine Frames

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Ylva's Avatar

The problem with your design is the glass holding it in place. I would never do that. A little pressure on the glass would break the egg. If there ever is an accident and the glass breaks, so will the eggs.

I think, in this case, I might build something more like a cabinet, with a door and shelves (could be made out of mat board strips) and display the eggs, i egg cups (maybe clear acrylic ones).

Or have small acrylic boxes built, to fit each egg perfectly and frame them.

I don't think I would use any existing holes in them, the best you could do with that is thread something through that, but I would be nervous to do anything like that and the thread might make the holes even more brittle?

Another option would be to cut the top mat, the same way you would do the back board, with slightly smaller opening to keep the egg in place and have the glass floated far away from that. Of course you would not be able to see the whole egg, just the face.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Thats a first. Once you manage to do, upload a photo
    I could be wrong, I could be right

Kwik Picture Framing, UK - www.kwikpictureframing.co.uk
    www.anysizepictureframe.co.uk

MGF Master Grumble Framer MarkyW's Avatar

I have never framed an egg, but I do have a lot of experience working with eggs as I do pysanky - Ukranian Easter Eggs.

Prospero said that if they are real eggs they will have been blown out. Not necessarily. Some people prefer not to blow out their eggs. There's always a chance that you will crack the egg when you go to blow it out. With pysanky, you usually blow them out after doing all the work (it's easier to keep the egg under the water dye while it's not blown out), so some people don't want to take that chance. If these are actually painted, then it's much easier to blow them out before they are painted.

Besides checking to see if there is a hole or holes on the end of the egg, a very obvious way to tell is that a blown egg will be much lighter than a full egg.

For the people that don't blow them out, it's really not a good idea. They may say they never had any problem, but you never know. It may not be in a year or two, or in 5 or maybe even 10 years, but that chances are good that an unblown egg will pop. And it's not just a hairline crack. It pops. And it stinks. I had several eggs that were unblown that my mother had bought many years ago at various places. They were good for quite a while. But, eventually, all but one has popped. And that one may eventually pop sometime, too.

All of that is to say that if, by chance, they aren't blown out, you can tell the person not to be surprised in the future if something happens. Or see if the artist will blow them out. I wouldn't necessarily try it yourself if you don't have the experience. The flute on a regular drill bit can catch the shell just as it goes through and put a crack in the egg.

Also, I would not do the string through the holes. Then you've got a very narrow pressure point on the edge of the egg shell and if it gets bounced around a little going home on a bumpy road, it will likely crack the egg.

I haven't off the top of my head thought of what would be good to do, but I will give it some thought. I just wanted to get the what not to do out there first.
    God, grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones that I do like, and the eyesight to tell the difference.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Ylva's Avatar

Cool information Marky!

would you mind posting some photos of your creations?? I am sure I am not alone in wanting to see some!!!!

Thanks everyone for the advice!

The eggs weren't blown out with two holes. There is one hole hole in the bottom.
    This hole has a decorative cover.egg-bottom.jpg

The client has said they don't really want clear thread over the eggs. They did say they would accept "one" thread over the egg.
    Tying the egg either vertically or horizontally.

I was thinking that there may be a product that is like a "flexible" mylar. Like a clear, flat strip that could be cut, and be secured flat against each egg. So if I were to cut strips that were ~1/8" to function as "egg belts"
    Another idea would be to cut a cross out of a clear material (like a + sign) . So that the egg can be secured from top to bottom, and around the sides.

Does anyone know of such a material?

I might just try using mylar, and try to make the fasteners as small and as invisible as possible.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

One issue with the glass-touch idea is that the constant expansion/contraction cycles would create a rubbing action between the glass and the eggs, which would soon abrade the paint at the point of contact. That phenomenon will actually rub the printing off a golf ball, which is certainly more durable than the finish on your eggs.

You could make a Direct Contact Overlay (DCO) using fine mesh French silk organdy called Crepeline. Wrap the item like a lollipop and pull the ends of the fabric through a small (say, 1" x 1-1/4") oval-shaped opening in the mounting board. Glue the fabric to the back of the mounting board, or use Velcro "hook" fastener to hold the weave of the silk.

• Go
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast