Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surflon wire system opinions

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer susang's Avatar

Default Surflon wire system opinions

I've been a traditional wire twister for all of my framing career. Can anyone tell me about the surflon wire system? Is it faster? Is it cost effective? Does it save time? I have a larger job coming up, of some 12x16's and wondered if it would save time.
    Thanks!
    Susan
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Puppiesonacid's Avatar

saves time, no. it really takes more time... you have to fish the wire through the thing first which takes about as long as winding, and then you have to make sure the crimp is strong enough, and hope it holds over time.

You never know is the problem i have with it... i thought i had some nice and tight and put it aside, and came back to it later and tested it and it slipped.

winding is the way to go.

I will add this after looking more at their site... I have a very strong grip, and sometimes it still wasn't enough... Maybe it was user error, but I tried using them for a month, and just was never confident in the crimps. haven't had anything come back yet with them on, so who knows.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

When it is necessary to use wire, I use the traditional method to tie the ends of stainless steel to Infiniti Hangers. Thanks to two-point hanging systems, which are better alternatives in most cases, it is seldom necessary to use wire these days.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Puppiesonacid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
    When it is necessary to use wire, I use the traditional method to tie the ends of stainless steel to Infiniti Hangers. Thanks to two-point hanging systems, which are better alternatives in most cases, it is seldom necessary to use wire these days.
    glad your customers like your 2 point way of doing things... people always want wire from me, and they want me to put wire on their cheap frames they bring me from other places that only has a 2 point way of doing it.

I say cheap frames because they are ready made frames from big box stores. and are usually falling apart by time i see them, and they just bought them.

can you list one with a link so i can see what you use that makes it so easy?

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer susang's Avatar

This is for a 60 piece job, low budget, 15 metal profile 12x16. I don't approve of sawtooth hangers. All go to separate destinations, not hung together.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Framar's Avatar
    Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

Cool

For #15 metals, only 12x16, I would use snap hangers (as opposed to those awful screw-in euro hangers) and (Warning: heresy coming!) only put the wire through the hanger ONCE and then wind it. For that weight - they will be fine - and if they are all going to different place, you don't even have to measure the placement - just eyeball 'em.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Try THIS. When i joined the grumble, i came across this and have been using it ever since. It works . The photos are no longer available for some reason.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Bob Doyle's Avatar

Mitchel,

she is using metal frames so the DITH method will not work.

Jim,

By two hole system are you talking flangers or the new(ish) fletcher hangers? I was first introduced to the Fletcher system by Cliff Wilson when he showed us the system as it was being developed by Picture Perfect. Is there a PP hanger for metal frames?
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?.

We never had a problem with wire slipping when using the crimp sleeves. But then you have to remember that you don't want to crimp exactly straight with the wire, you want to crimp a little diagonal.

(Mostly we used wall buddies.)
    Sue May, Moderator.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Been using the crimping system for almost as many years as I've been open. I started with twisty wire and quickly switched to crimping and never went back. In all of those 20 years, I've only had 3 come back in and it was because of a failure of a sleeve that had been made wrong... if the metal is too brittle, it can crack over time and fail. Also the only ones to fail were the small, black ones. I have since been using at least 2 sleeves per side for a safety measure.

Personally, it just looks better.
    ...and, yes.. you need to crimp them on a diagonal for them to work.
    I'm NOT crazy!! My Mother had me tested!

• Go
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast