Thread: Surflon wire system opinions

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer susang's Avatar

Default Surflon wire system opinions

I've been a traditional wire twister for all of my framing career. Can anyone tell me about the surflon wire system? Is it faster? Is it cost effective? Does it save time? I have a larger job coming up, of some 12x16's and wondered if it would save time.
    Thanks!
    Susan
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Puppiesonacid's Avatar

saves time, no. it really takes more time... you have to fish the wire through the thing first which takes about as long as winding, and then you have to make sure the crimp is strong enough, and hope it holds over time.

You never know is the problem i have with it... i thought i had some nice and tight and put it aside, and came back to it later and tested it and it slipped.

winding is the way to go.

I will add this after looking more at their site... I have a very strong grip, and sometimes it still wasn't enough... Maybe it was user error, but I tried using them for a month, and just was never confident in the crimps. haven't had anything come back yet with them on, so who knows.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

When it is necessary to use wire, I use the traditional method to tie the ends of stainless steel to Infiniti Hangers. Thanks to two-point hanging systems, which are better alternatives in most cases, it is seldom necessary to use wire these days.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Puppiesonacid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
    When it is necessary to use wire, I use the traditional method to tie the ends of stainless steel to Infiniti Hangers. Thanks to two-point hanging systems, which are better alternatives in most cases, it is seldom necessary to use wire these days.
    glad your customers like your 2 point way of doing things... people always want wire from me, and they want me to put wire on their cheap frames they bring me from other places that only has a 2 point way of doing it.

I say cheap frames because they are ready made frames from big box stores. and are usually falling apart by time i see them, and they just bought them.

can you list one with a link so i can see what you use that makes it so easy?

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer susang's Avatar

This is for a 60 piece job, low budget, 15 metal profile 12x16. I don't approve of sawtooth hangers. All go to separate destinations, not hung together.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Framar's Avatar
    Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

Cool

For #15 metals, only 12x16, I would use snap hangers (as opposed to those awful screw-in euro hangers) and (Warning: heresy coming!) only put the wire through the hanger ONCE and then wind it. For that weight - they will be fine - and if they are all going to different place, you don't even have to measure the placement - just eyeball 'em.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Try THIS. When i joined the grumble, i came across this and have been using it ever since. It works . The photos are no longer available for some reason.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Bob Doyle's Avatar

Mitchel,

she is using metal frames so the DITH method will not work.

Jim,

By two hole system are you talking flangers or the new(ish) fletcher hangers? I was first introduced to the Fletcher system by Cliff Wilson when he showed us the system as it was being developed by Picture Perfect. Is there a PP hanger for metal frames?
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?.

We never had a problem with wire slipping when using the crimp sleeves. But then you have to remember that you don't want to crimp exactly straight with the wire, you want to crimp a little diagonal.

(Mostly we used wall buddies.)
    Sue May, Moderator.

Lead, follow, or get out of the way.

Been using the crimping system for almost as many years as I've been open. I started with twisty wire and quickly switched to crimping and never went back. In all of those 20 years, I've only had 3 come back in and it was because of a failure of a sleeve that had been made wrong... if the metal is too brittle, it can crack over time and fail. Also the only ones to fail were the small, black ones. I have since been using at least 2 sleeves per side for a safety measure.

Personally, it just looks better.
    ...and, yes.. you need to crimp them on a diagonal for them to work.
    I'm NOT crazy!! My Mother had me tested!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Doyle View Post
    By two hole system are you talking flangers or the new(ish) fletcher hangers? I was first introduced to the Fletcher system by Cliff Wilson when he showed us the system as it was being developed by Picture Perfect. Is there a PP hanger for metal frames?
    Bob, that's two-point hanging, not two-hole hangers. The frame hangs from two points in the wall. The system you know as Picture Perfect is the same Fletcher Wreless system I am using now for most of our wood and plastic frames. After my 30-second demonstration, customers love them. We have customers coming in to buy them separately for all of their other frames at home.

There is an easy way to adapt the Fletcher Wireless system to aluminum sectional frames. Get some of those ring/strap hangers that use a small tapped plate and a machine screw. Throw out the ring/strap parts and use the screws and plates under the Fletcher Wireless brackets. That works well, but the cost is higher than using WallBuddies, which are quick, easy, and economical for sectional frames.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchelC View Post
    Try THIS. When i joined the grumble, i came across this and have been using it ever since. It works . The photos are no longer available for some reason.
    That thread is almost 7-1/2 years old! Still using the DITH method, eh? Have you found any drawbacks or problems? Any techniques or specific procedures you recommend for it?

The concept of Direct-In-The-Hole wire attachments still seems logical and suitable for general purposes. If I were still using wire hanging systems regularly, DITH with a small washer for compression onto the back of the frame probably would be my preferred attachment.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Bob Doyle's Avatar

Jim I really like that wireless system. I had used it for hanging artwork along a stairwell, It was incredibly easy to get the pictures to hang at the right height. Only weak link is the plastic disk. I have some of the original disks and they are getting really brittle and they break and flake apart. Not sure what Fletcher did to improve on them, sure they did something Hate for them to turn into the "round brown bumpon" of hanging systems

Are they available from a distributor, ie LJ, Decor, DonMar or Omega?
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer artfolio's Avatar

I was sceptical about using crimps but wanted to use the thinner hard-drawn wire which cannot be twiddled so invested in sleeves and crimping pliers. I had one failure during testing when the wire slipped so after some more experimenting I adopted the method of crimping the sleeve lengthwise then using the widest part of the jaws to give it a tweak crossways as well. So far no problems but anything too heavy, like a football jersey or mirror gets nylon cord.
    "Try not! Do or do not; there is no try" (Jedi Master Yoda)

PFG Picture Framing God Pat Murphey's Avatar

The sleeves that are specified for the wire, i.e. #7 for 90lb test, have enough room to double back the end leaving a small loop. If you the crimp the 3 wires, you will never see a slip. I've been doing it this way for 17 years.
    Pat

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer

I've been using the Surflon system for over 20 years, in fact it's the only system I've used. It's fast, easy and neat. I've never twisted wire, or used screw eye so can't say how it compares time wise. I've never had one slip or come back for repair. I have replaced probably over 200 twisted wires on frames to be repaired, that usually break right at the screw eye.

That's my two cents worth.

Grumbler in training

Default Re: Surflon wire system opinions

hi everyone, can anyone kindly direct me to a page where I could see the actual sizes of the surflon wires? can anyone post pics of their surflon wires, I'm going to order some online but can't tell the actual sizes of the wires, thanks

PFG Picture Framing God Pat Murphey's Avatar

I use Surflon D090-8 90 pound test with American Fishing wire #7 (J07B-C) sleeves and Surflon D135-4 135 pound test with American Fishing Wire #9 (J09B-C) sleeves. You can get them from Fishing websites, But I have had better luck getting bulk sizes and prices from Amazon.com (searching for specific product names and numbers). Look for 1000' rolls and 1000 sleeve packs.

Full description is Surflon nylon coated 1x7 stainless steel leader wire.

I've gotten better pricing from Amazon than I ever got from any of my suppliers and the Fishing sites are full retail for smaller quantities, OK only for stopgap purchases.
    Pat

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer

Factory website========== hangingsolutions.com shows all colors and sizes,,,,,you still have to order elsewhere and Amazon has been good.

• Thread Sponsor
    Sponsor Wanted

Call (401) 619-4335 to become a sponsor today.

• Go