Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Larson Juhl no longer a Crescent distributor...?

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer GUMBY, GCF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
    Ylva, I agree, I will continue to do business with both. I've set back and just watched this thread. I guess I cannot really understand why anybody has a concern if LJ discontiued Crescent or if Crescent discontinued LJ. Crescent is carried by just about every distributor in the business so I don't see it as harmful to either company or to us as framers. If I want Crescent I go to TC Moulding or Superior Moulding or Omega Moulding...if I want Artique I go to LJ. I see it as a battle between those 2 that is really none of my business and in no way what so ever harmful to my business. Will I purchase less from LJ because they don't carry Crescent...NO! Will I purchase less Crescent because they don't supply to LJ...NO!

That's business, they have a disagreement that doesn't effect my busines so why should I get upset with either. Let them battle it out, it is between them and none of my business. If they were my only suppliers then I may be concerned but that isn't the case. I'm just not going to stick my nose into their business. Sorry but that is my $0.02 - I can't get my dander up over this minuscule change.
    I agree 100% I want them both to prosper.....

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer tedh's Avatar

Default Buy/Sell Recommendation

I would buy Neilsen Bainbridge, and dump Crescent.

Why?

Look at the date of the first post of this thread: February 8. I have just gone through a purge of all my Crescent corner samples: they're being stashed until further notice.

So far, no contact from any Crescent distributors. I'm going to see how long I can go until I need a Crescent mat. I may be able to get by quite well, selling Bainbridge, Peterboro and Artique. Existing Crescent stock will be framed up with gallery subjects, or used as substitutions.

So who needs whom? Do I need Crescent, or does Crescent need me? If I can do without them, my inventory carrying costs will drop by quite a bit. I stopped selling the 1500, 1600 and 1700 series long ago because of the burring issue. Crescent Selects are being replaced by Bainbridge Basics. Peterboro suedes are cheaper than Moormans.

How many other small frame shops are thinking along these lines: having to set up new accounts with new suppliers, shipping issues, quality issues. No approach yet from existing Crescent suppliers, too.

So that brings me to one of two conclusions: either Crescent has a death wish, or they have very bad management. Who would do business with them under these circumstances?
    My hovercraft is full of anguish.

MGF Master Grumble Framer Julie Walsh's Avatar

Did you consider that Crescent wouldn't/couldn't/shouldn't have your business information to 'hand over' to Omega? It may fall under the privacy act that would not allow LJ to provide that information. This differs from the hand over of information when Frame Guild left Canada a few years ago.

Why don't you just contact Omega directly instead of waiting for a call?
    "What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid"
    Who Moved My Cheese

Julie: I'm not being a dog in a manger - this is about

- the trouble of having to set up new accounts,
    - problems with cutting Crescents,
    - warped mats,
    - talking to a dis-interested Crescent vice-president years ago when the mat-cutting issue was hot, and
    - shipping from Toronto to Ottawa in light of all the other shipping issues.

I may return to Crescent in the future. Years ago I was a really big fan, and I still love their colours, but in view of the above, I'm going to see if I can live without them, and uncomplicate things a bit.

I don't expect Larson to help Omega gain customers at their own expense. I would have expected Crescent suppliers to get out and hustle up new accounts. I would have expected Crescent to get out and sell to the customers they're losing. None of this happened, indicating a continuation of weak management at Crescent.

What did happen? Coincidentally Bainbridge issued Basics. Now there's a stroke of luck! Bainbridge also held a good session at Wallacks Wholesale three weeks ago, building bridges. Larson's Montreal general manager has been here twice this year, and has maintained excellent communications with us. Crescent has not earned any loyalty. Not one bit.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Jeff Rodier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tedh View Post
    I don't expect Larson to help Omega gain customers at their own expense. I would have expected Crescent suppliers to get out and hustle up new accounts. I would have expected Crescent to get out and sell to the customers they're losing. None of this happened, indicating a continuation of weak management at Crescent.
    There is a very good chance that contractual agreements would prevent this until the LJ deal winds down. You can bet there will be some reps from suppliers and possibly Crescent coming in as soon as they have a solid plan of how to deal with your region. The Bainbridge Basics could be a portion of this entire decision to drop LJ.
    Art & Frame Outlet
    204 George Bishop Pkwy
    (Across from the Hard Rock Park)
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
    (843) 236-4370

That could be the case, and I hope it is. I'd like to see Crescent turn around its reputation, and this could be a very good first step.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

Quote Originally Posted by tedh View Post
    ... I'm going to see if I can live without them, and uncomplicate things a bit.
    You know one of the best matboard makers in North America is right there in Ontario, don't you?

We use a good amount of Peterboro. Very high quality, good colors. One problem, though: my local distributor will not special order suedes - they want at least 5 sheets, so guess what? I have to use a Toronto distributor, who walks on water.

I've recently noticed specks on Bainbridge whites, under the top sheet. Never on PB.

MGF Master Grumble Framer Keith L Hewitt's Avatar

[QUOTE=tedh;887011
    I've recently noticed specks on Bainbridge whites, under the top sheet. Never on PB.[/QUOTE]

Can you be more specific please? Are you saying the specs are in the top layer of the core board, or in the adhesive?
    I have visited framers in 83 countries. No 2 are the same

Very small black specks under the top layer of paper. I dig them out carefully with a ten-power loupe, and repair the excavation with various instruments. I try to scan where I think the mat borders will be before the Wizard cuts the mat, but some times I miss them.

Murphy's Law: the speck will be in the bevel or v-groove. That's when I get ticked.

Go