Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CIA (?) Company classic mat cutter???

Grumbler in training shannon.mcdonald@wallacks's Avatar

Default CIA (?) Company classic mat cutter???

Hi Everyone,

I received a call from a customer today looking for parts for her mat cutter... she tells me it is a 48" "Classic" mat cutter with the name "CIA Company" on it, anyone ever heard of this? Because I can't seem to find any info at all.

Thanks!

Shannon
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Terry Hart cpf's Avatar

Could it be C&H ?
    Terry Hart cpf the Lone Framer
    "There's a lot of things in this world you're gonna have no use for." Tom Waits' Dad

PFG Picture Framing God janetj1968's Avatar

More than likely, its says "C & H" and she's having a hard time reading it.
    Life is 50% Faith, 50% Attitude.

-Jan

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

I bet it's a C&H Classic. I had one. Nice cutter, but the brass head/chrome bar design requires cleaning and lubrication at least a few times a day. Otherwise, the brass wears quickly.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Bob Doyle's Avatar

What about Carithers? Could that be the name? They did become C&H right?

BTW What is she looking for in terms of parts?
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer susang's Avatar

That would be Carithers, designed by Herb. Then it turned into C+H. Great cutters. Mine is 25 years old and works well. Herb and his son Charlie used to go to all of the shows to do demos. They had a framing school in Jackson Mississippi which I attended. Those guys were dedicated to our industry!

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Jeff Rodier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
    Nice cutter, but the brass head/chrome bar design requires cleaning and lubrication at least a few times a day. Otherwise, the brass wears quickly.
    Cleaned mine once a week and cut several hundred to a thousand mats on it each week. Never wore out a single part. Many people have a tendency to overtighten the head assembly on the guide bar.
    Art & Frame Outlet
    204 George Bishop Pkwy
    (Across from the Hard Rock Park)
    Myrtle Beach, SC 29579
    (843) 236-4370

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Rob Markoff's Avatar

Agreed- CIA is Carithers International

I have a 60" cutter still in use - and it is a fine machine. My machine has a brass cutting head with four points of adjustment to account for wear. It is still true and accurate. We take the bar off to cut mats larger than 60 x 60 since the Wizard will only hold a 40 x 60 board.

I also still have my Oval Cutter and use it to size oval glass or cut fome-cor for backing on oval frames.

CIA was bought by 3M (also still have a 60" Art Mate - though it is a CIA Wanna Be) - the mat cutting division was bought by Nielsen/Bainbridge and rebranded as C+H.

Parts aren't rocket science" and almost anything needed can either be sourced from a good industrial hardware store (like hinge roll pins that do fail) or other fasteners. A good machine shop can fix/fabricate anything else.

Like a prior post - what parts are needed?

MGF Master Grumble Framer

I understood C&H was Herb Carithers first go at mat cutters. His wife was Cathy and so C and H but Herb told me the company name was C&H when he bought it. He sold C&H but couldn't resist getting back into the business hence the "Classic" series of mat cutters. More precise, more adjustments, and the best manual mat cutter I ever came across. 3 of these in our shop and we cut hundreds of thousands of mats on them - actually still have all 3. Each framer would start the week by cleaning, oiling and checking accuracy every Monday morning. Perfect corners, perfect Vee grooves. A great mat cutter. I understood the classic line was eventually taken on by Larson Juhl.

CIA - Carithers International Associates - PO Box 16997, Jackson, MS - 39236 - 601-956-8378

That's the label on our cutters.

Grumbler in training shannon.mcdonald@wallacks's Avatar

Default Wow!

Hey thanks everyone! The Grumble is such a valuable source to this industry, I'm glad I logged on

She originally said to me that it was a C & H but upon reading the info on the machine to me she discovered that it said C.I.A. I believe she purchased it from another framer years ago, this guy most likely told her that C.I.A. was now C&H in case she needed parts, this is most likely why she had it in her memory.

She was looking for a new head but I have not seen the machine yet. I'll be dropping by tomorrow to have a look as she is saying that her mats are all bowing, perhaps she just needs new bearings? Anyways, as mentioned, I will be going to look at it tomorrow, I'm glad I have a lead on a source.

Thank you to everyone who offered help, I really appreciate it.

Shannon

• Go
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast