Thread: Price check - Fitting for frame from Hobby Lobby

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Default Price check - Fitting for frame from Hobby Lobby

I know we are all not fans of Hobby Lobby. How much would you charge someone for fitting on a 16x20 frame that came from them? In this case, it is a canvas that has already been drymounted so there is no glass, but the materials are still the points, atg tape, backing paper and wire hanging supplies.

We are still setting up our pricing in specialtysoft and the default price is $14.40 if I remember correctly. I am thinking to 2x the regular fitting charge.

2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

We have a fitting charge that is automatically applied to custom frames. For ready-mades, whether they are bought from us or frames that the customer has brought in, we have a manual fitting charge that we add. For frames that a customer brings in, we also have a "customer frame" charge that we add on top. Afterall, we put part of our rent and utility charges into the pricing of the frames that we sell, and we still need to recoup those costs even if a customer purchases a frame elsewhere.

We have a sliding scale for the "customer frame" charge. I would have to look to say for sure, but I think it generally runs about 50% of the fitting charge on smaller frames, down to only maybe 20% of our regular fitting charge on larger frames (which corresponds to approximately $5 on smaller frames up to maybe $20 on larger frames).

PFG Picture Framing God janetj1968's Avatar

Mine is .55/UI or $19.80.
    Life is 50% Faith, 50% Attitude.

-Jan

Grumbler

I get $ 15.75 if its there frame.

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer SusieQ's Avatar

Mine is $21 if it's their frame. Less if it's my frame. I have a "fit customer's frame" charge. It's our attempt to discourage folks from buying readymades at M's and bringing them in for us to fit.
    I'm a PICTURE FRAMER, not a PICTURE FITTER. Don't want to encourage the latter.

I also worry about putting hanging wire on readymade poly frames. I'm not set up for that, and it can be a recipe for disaster. Nothing like NOT selling a frame to someone, but having to replace it when it falls off the wall. Sometimes my staff misses the fact that the frame is plastic and not wood.

And so it goes...
    Susie Conley, CPF
    Bluegrass Frames

"Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy." Robert Heinlein

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer GUMBY, GCF's Avatar

What is the average time you spend with a customer start "hello can I help you?" to finish " thank you come back soon"
    If you honestly time this or give or take 5 min. multiply your shop time fee by this time.
    If you wait on 5 ready made customes
    1. 20min.
    2. 35min.
    3. 16min
    4. 40min
    5. 33min
    That is 140 min divide by 5 = approx. 28 min average
    You should charge 28 X's your one minute shop rate.
    this case if your shop charges were $60.00 an hour your per min. would be $1.00
    28X$1.00 = 28.00 plus hardware
    hardware I keystone so two dring hangers .10 two screws .03 24"piece of wire .02 paper backing.07 atg tape.07= $.29

$28.29 would be your actual charge.

If you are charging $15.00 and it really took 28 min you are charging aprox $.54 a min or $32.40 an hour shop time.
    If that covers all your expenses & pays you the salary you want then $32.50 is fine.
    If you are only really working on items say 20 or 30 hours a week your shop charges would have to go up in order to make the $32.50 an hour.

If you could do fitting at 32.40 an hour "all" 54 hours a week you are open then you would take in approx $100,000.00
    a year.
    Minus approx. $410.00 for materials if they were all 16 x 20's now don't forget to throw your utilities, rent, phone, insurance, taxes, payroll, advertising, bags, maintenance, waste, trash removal, other office supplies.

These numbers are all rounded but close enough that it gives you an idea of how you need to go about determining your pricing.
    Or you can charge what the other guy charges & hope your overhead is the same as theirs or less. Who knows maybe they aren't really making a living wage.

Take what you want leave the rest.
    Not trying to tell you how to run your business/hobby.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Thanks for the replies. I am thinking I am going to go with something similar to JWB where I have a specific line item on their bill that shows a customers frame fee, they should get the message. It is rare anyone even brings in a frame for fitting anyway and even rarer that they have not purchased anything like a mounted canvas print from us to stick in there.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Dave's Avatar

Jim (Gumby) is right, of course.

I'm at $ 23.77 + tax for a 16X20 fitting with someone else's frame and realize I don't make any money on that sale when everything is accounted for. Hopefully that customer will return and not just with plastic frames from the BB's.

My normal fitting charge would be $ 18.77 for a 16 X 20.

$ 5.00+ additional for using there frame.
    $ 5.00+ additional for using their own glazing.
    $ X.XX if touch up is needed or any other work on frame.

Included would be a dustcover and hanging hardware.

If it is a bend tab frame and I'm just washing the glass and putting the back on I'll do it while I'm talking to them. Sometimes wave the charge and sometimes charge $ 5-10 depending on the size. If the customer is really nice or seems to be someone that will possibly do more business down the line, I'll tell them to just stop back with a cup of coffee for me sometime... black, no sugar.
    Dave Makielski

The guy who knows a lot about a little and a little about a lot. I learn something
    everyday and appreciate those who help to educate me, teach me and nurture me.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer John Ranes II, CPF, GCF's Avatar

Red face Taking care of the small stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by stevens
    ...How much would you charge someone for fitting on a 16x20 frame............We are still setting up our pricing in specialtysoft and the default price is $14.40 if ...
    We have a couple of different fit charges added to our Specialty Charges in SpecialtySoft. We also have used a Misc Supply Charge that is automatically added to all framing orders. The Misc Supply Charge takes care of the material used in any framing job (dust cover, wire, hardware, points, etc.).

At 36UI (16x20) we currently calculate $7.20 for the Misc Supply Charge and $12.24 for the Fitting Charge - Customer's Frame (.34 per UI) for a total of $19.24.

Having an option designed within your POS saves you guesstimating at the design table, assures profitability and allows you to accept these miscellaneous orders quickly and easily.

Regardless as to where the frame was made, the customer simply wants our help in solving their immediate problem. We stick with the pricing above on internal readymades and customer's readymades purchased elsewhere - about the only time we will change this procedure if they bring in an old nasty, dirtly joined frame that is probably going to cause more labor. We then charge the Fit - Specialty Charge TWICE.

John

The Frame Workshop | Appleton, WI | Email: john@theframeworkshop.com
    Consultant to The Fletcher-Terry Company l PFM Mat Doctor
    Consultant to Tru Vue l Member Artaissance Advisory Committee
    "The Nation's Most Award Winning Frame Shop"

• Thread Sponsor
    Sponsor Wanted

• Go