Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Blu-Ray DVD to Wireless Router

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Murphey View Post
    Is Netflix streaming full resolution 1080p video for Blu-Ray?
    They carry Blu-Ray (costs more) but not sure if they stream the content yet. Most likely they will at some point.

Jim:

I was using same router as you, then had FIOS a couple of months ago... and now I am using their own branded router.....and the WRT54G is living in a drawer now.

Not sure what wireless adapter will work with the FIOS thingie, and I doubt I can get a reliable answer from them.

A 50 ft Ethernet cable (from router to DVD player) going through the floor / ceiling is beginning to sound like an only option...LOL

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Does your new router have wireless? You mgiht be able to use your old one as a bridge and connect the blu-ray player to it. You'll probably have to download a 3rd party firmware (like the one I use).

Which version of the WRT54G do you have? Newer versions have less memory and don't work with all 3rd party firmware mods. The WRT54GL is a legacy version that linksys sells that has the original memory size, so enthusiasts can hack them.

As far as netflix goes, no, they do not stream 1080P. Their HD streaming quality is somewhere in between DVD quality and HD broadcast quality. (also no 5.1 yet)

PFG Picture Framing God Pat Murphey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
    They carry Blu-Ray (costs more) but not sure if they stream the content yet. Most likely they will at some point.
    Yeah, I heard on a satellite forum that the streaming Netflix movies are not even up to standard DVDs in quality. (Just very convenient.) I don't use Netflix or Blu-Ray DVDs because I find the HD satellite movie channels, especially the uncompressed ones are comparable to Blu-Ray on the TV and much better than regular DVDs, even on an upconverting Blu-Ray DVD player. I don't have the urge to see movies when they first come out, but most are now available as HD pay per view (some in 1080p), if I really cared.

I think bandwidth issues will keep Blu-Ray from practical streaming for a while.
    Pat

True Grumbler

Quote Originally Posted by Paul N View Post
    Anybody has such a connection??

I am thinking about getting a Samsung Blu-Ray DVD player to stream Netflix from the web.

Have wireless router upstairs.......and I don't want to use a 100 ft Ethernet cable......!

USB wireless adapter??? I'd rather not go with the $400 DVD player with built-in wireless......

Buy a "Western Digital Live Plus" media player.The plus has built in Netflix support and the player supports full 1080p streaming.I have the slightly older model which is the WDTV Live. I can use a wireless N usb adapter to watch movies with the player on any t.v. in the house I move it to. I have a 1tb external hard drive hooked up to my wireless N router so I can use this player wirelessly anywhere, its great! The model that I have doesn't support netflix but it does support Pandora and You Tube.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

There is a pretty good guide on the dd-wrt page detailing how to setup your old WRT54G as a bridge. This solution would be nice because you wouldn't have to buy anything.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode

Using the old router as a bridge is definitely a great idea!!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by chrish04 View Post
    Buy a "Western Digital Live Plus" media player
    That's one very interesting piece of hardware!

Amazon has it for $119!

PFG Picture Framing God

Considering the quality (or lack of) of the movies that you can stream, I wouldn't spend a dime to play them on another tv. I am set up to watch them on our WII but the streaming movies are rather limited.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Bob Doyle's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jay H View Post
    Considering the quality (or lack of) of the movies that you can stream, I wouldn't spend a dime to play them on another tv. I am set up to watch them on our WII but the streaming movies are rather limited.
    The WII is a major limiting factor. It can only put out 480 not 1080. So don't base your streaming quality argument on the abilities of the WII I'd base it on your broadband connection and capabilities of the TV or video card in your computer. (Or game console the Sony and MS products can output to 1080)
    Blockin' out the scenery, breakin' my mind Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign?.

Go