Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting an old fishing reel

Grumbler

Default Mounting an old fishing reel

I have a pre-1955 Johnson Sidewinder fishing reel to mount in a shadow box along with a lot of fishing accessories. Lures, hooks, weights. I have inset the reel into the mat but am having trouble figuring how to secure it. I am working with my Attach EZ kit but there is nothing to attach it to as it is smooth all the way around. No screw holes or little places to insert the poly string fastner. I am still experimenting but if anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it!
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

A photo would help a lot. Not really familar with the reel, does it still have the fishing line on it? Perhaps you could just run your elements from your attach-ez over the area where the fishing line is.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

Clear
    Film
    Straps

Grumbler

[ATTACH]PictureFramersGrumble 001.jpg

PictureFramersGrumble 002.jpg

PictureFramersGrumble 003.jpg

PictureFramersGrumble 004.jpg[/ATTACH]

I'm not too good at this so I hope it comes through. I thought about the film strips and am still considering it. It is just smooth all the way around and the line feeds though the bottom but is encased in the reel itself. What do you think?

Do you want the reel to present like it was attached to a rod? If so, find an old fishing rod that you can attach the reel to. Then you will have several attachment points to work with. You can cut the rod to fit in the box.

Grumbler

Originally I was going to set it in the mat board and just show the side with the reel crank. That sounds like a good idea though. I am thoroughly stumped. Can't really even figure out how to use the strips. Nothing to hold on to.

In your first photo it looks like you're mounting it handle-up, nested in a round hole in the suede board. Is that right? If so, you could use a one-piece clear film "spider" to mount it like a medal, except the center would be cut out for the handle to poke through. Your circle of clear film would overlay the flat part of the reel, with a rectangular tab extending over the bracket where it is riveted to the body of the reel, including six "legs" extending down the sides and through the mounting board.

You could also mount it using formed rods, but that technique would be more obvious.

Or, if you're creative and careful about it, perhaps you could make a non-metallic fastener that would go into the hole where the line comes out, and expand on the inside of the reel. Then you could attach that to the back of your mounting board, holding the reel tight in its round nest cut into the mounting board. That would be especially easy if you could lock the line in place so it would not pull out of the reel.

Nice reel -- old, but in very good condition.

PFG Picture Framing God RoboFramer's Avatar
    United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)

I'm guessing the body of the reel comes apart to load the spool of line?

If so - open it and put a strap (or two in a +) over one half and close the other half over it/them

Pass the straps through the mounting board and secure at the back - nothing to see from the front at all.

I like the idea of a fishing rod handle better though, especially as there are other fishing accessories being included.
    Mi hydroaeroplano es plen de anguillas

Great idea, Robo!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Miller View Post
    Or, if you're creative and careful about it, perhaps you could make a non-metallic fastener that would go into the hole where the line comes out, and expand on the inside of the reel. Then you could attach that to the back of your mounting board, holding the reel tight in its round nest cut into the mounting board.

That approach might well work using a nylon expansion bolt / toggle like what is used when attaching something into drywall.

• Go
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast