Thread: Gorilla Glue Solvent?

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Framar's Avatar
    Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

Question Gorilla Glue Solvent?

Anyone have any tips on removing hardened Gorilla glue from a wood surface? Customer's soon-to-be X tried to repair a screen frame and he used Gorilla Glue which, of course, without clamps, bubbled out and has ruined the lacquer finish.

I have tried lacquer thinner, denatured alcohol and acetone so far - with zero results.

Barring anything to remove the stuff - how about suggestions for a glue to stick the parts back together again - 2 part epoxy maybe??? What sticks to Gorilla glue???

I loathe Gorilla Glue.
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

Check the manufacturer's website. They will list any solvents and document the proper procedure.

Picture Success - The American Picture Framing Academy
    http://pictureframingschool.com

No luck on the manufacturer's website - unless "scrape, chisel or sand" is the only answer for the dried carp.

Did I mention that I loathe Gorilla glue????

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Baer Charlton's Avatar

scrape, chisel or sand
    yep, thats the only way.

Cars are loathsome item too, if they aren't used right.

Gorilla is a very good product, but like other products must be used as directed. Titebond IIII would have done a number on the finish as well; and we won't even go there with 2P epoxy.

I'm thinking that when you say screen frame, you mean outside application.... I'd recommend a good cleaning (scraping and chisel with a little sanding) of the mating surfaces, and applying a liberal use of a band clamp and ..... yes..... gorilla glue.

Thanks, Baer - its like a Japanese screen - only it is modern, with abstract figures painted onto glued-on canvas - and badly finished black lacquer frame. Wife thinks soon-to-be X really hates her because he did such a lousy job trying to fix her screen. I am going to tell her he was really trying his best but he is a lawyer not a woodworker and he didn't have the correct tools!

I guess it is lucky for me then that GG comes in really small sizes now - because once you open it the bottle dries out completely after one use - no sense even trying to keep it going - it is worse than a tube of silly cone!

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

Tood bad Framer, I was expecting a much nicer solution.

Picture Success - The American Picture Framing Academy
    http://pictureframingschool.com

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer freakquency's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Framar View Post

I guess it is lucky for me then that GG comes in really small sizes now - because once you open it the bottle dries out completely after one use - no sense even trying to keep it going - it is worse than a tube of silly cone!
    Hmm.. I have a bottle of GG right here that has been opened for a year now and is still in 'good as new' quality.

Since it expands, during use, to 3x it's mass when drying you have to almost stand on top of it to catch, and wipe away the excess before it drys.

Did I say I love GG?

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Doug Gemmell's Avatar

Not a Gorilla Glue fan but am a BIG Gorilla Tape fan. That stuff is so sticky that if it sticks to you and you're not careful, you could remove skin. Makes duct tape look like a post-it note.
    "I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)

Well, I was lucky today - scraped off almost all of the GG and the yellow wood glue on the other half of the screen's frame, and was able to reglue the whole shebang with yellow wood glue.

Glad I found the "scrape" idea on the GG website - I have these tiny micro scrapers, oval, triangular, square and leaf shaped that were simply perfect for the job - I have so danged many miniature tools I forget what I have sometimes!!!

I have been meaning to try the Gorilla Tape - what do you use it for anyways???

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Doug Gemmell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Framar View Post
    I have been meaning to try the Gorilla Tape - what do you use it for anyways???
    Sticking things together...........

One of the things we use it for is to secure those foam core hangers with the sticky backs. Those backs aren't that sticky because they often fail, especially in hot weather on larger pieces. Slap a 3" strip of GT over them and they will stay!

Use it on anything where regular tape might work, but you want just a little more stick. Like on the Spinal Tap movie where the guy's amp knob went up to 11.
    "I have from an early age abjured the use of meat, and the time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)

• Thread Sponsor
    Sponsor Wanted

Call (401) 619-4335 to become a sponsor today.

• Go