Thread: Mirror edge for gallery wrap in Photoshop??

Default Mirror edge for gallery wrap in Photoshop??

Aloha

Can anyone tell me how to extend the edges of an image with a mirror image to allow me to gallery wrap the canvas when I am printing from photoshop? Is there a feature on p/s which does this automatically?

Also any quick pointers on stitching scanned segments of an image?

Thanks so much!

Aloha

Levie
    Living Life with Aloha! ~ Moloka'i Frame Shop & Gallery ~ www.MolokaiFrameShop.com
  2. Thread Sponsor
The CMC Doctor

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II PhotoKris's Avatar

For stitching scanned sections, make sure the sections overlap and are level with one another, and then i use a soft edged eraser to erase out most of the overlapping area so there is no noticeable harsh edge. Does that make sense?

As far as the mirror edges, let me see if i understand you . if the image is 16x20, you want to mirror, say the edge inch of the image and put it outside the actual image area thus making an 18x22?
    if im correct in what you want to do, make the canvas size 18x22, then create a marquee over the area you want to copy (say the left edge of the image) and then hit ctrl-c (cut) and cntrl-p (paste) and you will have a duplicate of the area you selected, but on its own layer. Move the new layer to the side of the original one. Then go to edit, transform, flip horizontal and it will mirror that layer. do this for each edge (dont forget to go back to the main image layer when you select each edge) once you have all four edges done, flatten your image and you should be all set.

Im used to teaching photoshop stuff in person, not in text if this didnt make sense, let me know.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Steph's Avatar

So.....Kris, when's class?
    DON'T EVER #### WITH A MOMMA BEAR!

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Rick Granick's Avatar

Great idea, Kris. Sounds like it should work fine. One thing, though: I think you meant ctrl-c (copy), which leaves the original where it is.
    Rick

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II PhotoKris's Avatar

oh yeah, ctrl-c is copy, not cut. sorry

MGF Master Grumble Framer echavez123's Avatar

Default Mirroring edges for gallery wrap

After mirroring two of the opposite sides, it may be helpful to flatten the image. This will enable you to get the full length of the 3rd and 4th sides, as you select, copy, paste, transform the edges. Otherwise, you will get white space (or whatever your background color) at the corners, and if you do not align the corners the white space may show on the sides.

Ernesto

Default Gallery Wrapping

Basically, what works for me is expanding the overall size of the canvas in Photoshop under "canvas." I usually increase the size of the canvas with a white background, unless it is a light colored image on the canvas, then I use black. This gives you some working room for the selecting, copying and flipping of each edge.

After copying and pasting each edge after selection with the marquee tool, and flipping in transformation, you will need to flatten each "flip" before selecting another edge.

There are some Photoshop Actions out there you can download for free that create this mirror edge, but so far for me, none have worked the way I need them to work. There are also some Actions out there that are available for purchase, but save your money and do it yourself.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Default MAHALO !

Thanks all.

You have elegantly and effectively educated me! Score! Success !! Bingo!!!
    We are fully mirrored and I still have all my hair ( or what's left of it...)

Aloha
    Living Life with Aloha! ~ Moloka'i Frame Shop & Gallery ~ www.MolokaiFrameShop.com

MGF Master Grumble Framer more_so's Avatar

Or you can just increase the canvas size by a little more than twice the depth of the sides, and fill the new area with some color. I like to use about 30% gray sometimes tinted with the overall color of the image.

But hey! Doncha think that image would look just GREAT with a frame around it! Definitely needs it.

yeah, and the newly released genuine fractals six does wonders, but the gallery wrap function in there doesn't quite work right either, although it's pretty good....- leaves white corners that require square wrapping : P

Also, using photo merge allows you to stitch scanned sections together quite nicely with out having to go thru the process of trying to match up the sections by eye. That is really a waste of time when the PS feature does it so well.
    If the individual files are large, it works better to merge 2 at a time rather than asking PS to merge all of them at once.
    I'm NOT crazy!! My Mother had me tested!

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer BILL WARD's Avatar

Default make a PS class a reality???

So.....Kris, when's class

Soooooooooo, you contact ppfa about this????? Do it ASAP. You KNOW there's enough interest out here! Everyone in THIS biz would love to have a 'short' course, or 3, in PS.
    Sucks man, you could also get ps to kick in with $$ for the pleasure of having you/it's brand out there in this venue!....double dipping!!!!!
    You're not trying to learn something new EVERY day, you may as well be dead!

• Thread Sponsor
    The CMC Doctor

• Go