Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Football Lacing?

PFG Picture Framing God FrameMakers's Avatar

Default Football Lacing?

I am looking for instructions on lacing a football. I know this is bit out of the ordinary but I figure with our collective knowledge someone might know how or be able to find a link to some instructions.

I have contacted Wilson but have not heard from them yet. I want this lacing style for another project not a football, so sending it off to someone is not an option. I did find out that Wilson will put a new bladder in your football and re-lace it for $15.

BTW I am talking American Football not soccer.
    Dave Wetterstroem

You don't stop playing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop playing.
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Dave's Avatar

Take a large syringe and inject your favorite libation...much like a watermelon!

Dave Makielski

The guy who knows a lot about a little and a little about a lot. I learn something
    everyday and appreciate those who help to educate me, teach me and nurture me.

Dave, I have no idea!

I know though, that I am a visual person and learn much better by doing, than by reading about it.

With that in mind, could you take an old/cheap football, and unlace it to see how it was done?

PFG Picture Framing God Jerry Ervin's Avatar
    North Carolina ... The Picture Frame Capital of the World

I have seen that being done on TV. I think the show was 'Made In America' with John Ratzenberger.

I couldn't begin to tell you how to do it though.
    Truth is treason in the empire of lies. ~Ron Paul

cedarwoodgallery.com
    framingandawards.com

Here is a video of the process, but not enough detail on the lacing pattern. How to start etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX06ABFLtvc
    Dave Wetterstroem

You don't stop playing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by j Paul View Post
    Dave, I have no idea!

I know though, that I am a visual person and learn much better by doing, than by reading about it.

With that in mind, could you take an old/cheap football, and unlace it to see how it was done?

That might work, but cheap footballs have molded on laces. Ones with stitched laces aren't cheap.
    Dave Wetterstroem

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

Actually, if you watch that video about 25 times, you can see exactly how it is done, using one continuous lace.

First, the lace is pulled through the first hole, and the short end is laid down the length of the lacing area, making a 'leader' between each pair of holes. In the video it looks like the end of it exceeds the laced length by at least an inch.

Next, the long end of the lace is drawn through each pair of holes in turn. The laces are perpendicular on top, but underneath, they are parallel at an angle going from one pair of holes to the next.

The lace is drawn through each pair of holes twice, once below the 'leader' and once above it, making two layers of the lace directly on top of one another, perpendicularly.

At the end of the lacing row, the remaining end is pulled back through the center of the laces and neatly laid next to the 'leader'.

Finally, both ends of the lace are pulled through the last hole at each end of the lace row, so the lace ends are under the cover and not exposed.

You could practice and perfect your lacing technique on a pair of shoes. It doesn't look very difficult.

I have been trying it out. The double wrapping seems to be a bit to bulky for my aplication. so now to figure out how to deal with the ends using just a single stitch.
    Dave Wetterstroem

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Bob Doyle's Avatar

How about a blanket stitch with the "snagging" done on the inside. Then the lacing will look to be perpendicular and the holding stitch will be inside and out of sight.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

Quote Originally Posted by FrameMakers View Post
    I have been trying it out. The double wrapping seems to be a bit to bulky for my aplication. so now to figure out how to deal with the ends using just a single stitch.

The double-wrapping is for strength, which seems appropriate for an item to be so physically abused as a football.

If your application does not require that kind of strength, maybe you could use a flatter ribbon of fabric (or even plastic) lacing and make only one wrap.

• Go
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast