Thread: Frame choppers

Grumbler in training

Default Frame choppers

Hello, brand new to "The Grumble"
    Opening a frame shop in Minnesota! Ready to open, but do not have a frame cutter. We have two mitre power saws; one is a 10"(cannot remember brand..will find out and post later) with a 80 tooth fine carbide blade. The other is an 8" with a 36 tooth carbide blade.They both seem to be terrible! Every frame we make has gaps in the middle, the inside and outside corners are fine, but the middle is open!! We have been researching and I think I want to buy a chopper. I used to work at a shop and that is what we had.. an upright morso chopper, however my question is... the chopper I used previously cut composite. I want a frame cutter that can cut composite and wood, we are providing both options to our customers. Is there a chopper or power saw within a tight budget that can do this? I was suppose to open last week, and of course have had some snags... I just need a saw/chopper that cuts flawless 45 degree angles.. any suggestions?! ~Cassandra Black
    PS Any suggestions on great sanders as well??
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Joe B's Avatar

Hello,
    I have a little shop up in Blaine, MN. I purchased a used Jyden chopper and it cuts all except for metal. I have my blade sharpened at Eide Blades in NE Minneapolis, they do a great job with the sharpening. Right now there is a Jyden chopper for sale for $1000.00 on Craigs list under "for sale" and was listed a couple of weeks back - I think that if you search craigslist for "chopper" it will pop up - it has been listed there for a while so he may want to deal. The Jyden and Morso choppers are just about bullet proof, can't think of much that can break down. Though there are some companies that state the Morso blades are not interchangeable with the Jyden, I have not found that to be true because I have been using Morso blades for about 5 years now and have not had a problem.
    I use a ITW AMP sander - got it from United. They have a cheaper one that is just about identical and I originally purchased but returned it because it just wasn't the quality of the ITW. If all you are going chop and sand is narrow moulding then you could look at the Logan's sander - very inexpensive and it does a nice job.
    Lots of luck with your new business - if you have any question about our area just send me a message.
    Joe B
    Last edited by Joe B; July 8th, 2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: didn't proof read until after posting - had to make a correction

Grumbler in training

Thanks for the info! I have checked out that sander, and it sounds like for the money it's worth it.

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer Turnip's Avatar

Craigslist worked well for me. You just have to keep checking, and search terms like, "picture framing" "mat cutter" "chopper". Even search for items in neighboring cities.

But if you see something you want, it's best to contact the seller as soon as possible. For me, I got a brand new Morso with 2 sets of blades, a Fletcher 2100 - 48" mat cutter, and a Fletcher 4000 cornerlock, all in 10/10 condition for $1000.

I was within minutes of missing the deal from another buyer.

Here's one in Duluth:
    http://duluth.craigslist.org/art/741226042.html

Grumbler in training

Default Frame equipment

I bought the ITW-AMP sander. It works AWESOME. I still need to get a chopper though to limit dust in my work shop. I did see the one on craigslist, but I think I need to buy NEW. There is something about used equipment I don't like... I did get a vacuum press from craigslist for $200 bucks and it works great. I bought a mat cutter from craigslist and it was terrible after I got it home so I just bought a brand new one. I like using the equipment where I am the only owner. My shop should be open in a week. Thanks for the suggestions I've received. I really like this website as well. Every question I have, I come on here and can find some sort of discussion on what I was wondering about. Great resource and the people seem quite informative.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Bill Henry-'s Avatar

Don’t discount used choppers. A Morsø is virtually indestructible, and since it is strictly mechanical, there are very few things about it that can go wrong – short of dropping if off a truck and keeping it in a damp environment where it could rust.

You might wish to have the seller of a used chopper e-mail you pictures of it from every angle to check for damage or rust before you commit to one. But even a small amount of rust probably won't be a deal breaker. You can generally remove superficial rust with steel wool.

For a new Morsø, the shipping cost are gonna kill you because of the weight. If you can find a used one locally, you’ll save a ton (ha, get it? Ton) of dough and get a pretty good workout hauling the sucker home.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent!Porky Pine

Grumbler in training

Talking Thanks

I did take your advice and bought a used Morso. I bought it from a neighbor of my mother (so I know where he lives, just in case!) and I've talked him to selling me his used Morso with 3 sets of blades. It's in excellent condition. $1000, can't go wrong! My shop is opening on Tuesday in Red Wing, Minnesota!!!

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Bill Henry-'s Avatar

Hey Cassandra,

Good for you! Wish you the best of luck in your new shop.

If you don’t mind unsolicited advice, keep the best set of blades for your opening and send the other two out for sharpening. Once they are back, replace the set you’ve had. There ain’t nothin’ so frustrating than having lousy cuts when you first open.

BTW: How did you get your screen name of “Hana No'Eau”? You might wish to flesh out your profile so we know you a bit better.

Another BTW: Welcome to the Grumble.
    Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent!Porky Pine

CGF, Certified Grumble Framer Turnip's Avatar

I hope the new chopper works well for you. I think if you're going to buy anything used, you're safe with a decent chopper. It's such a basic machine, it's easy to tell if it's in good shape or not.

One area that is good to check is the threads in the cutting head, that attach the blades. They can strip, and you wouldn't know it until you change your first set of blades.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II Franchesca's Avatar

Keep in mind that a moulding that has a cavity or scooped back may chip out with a chopper. All those new veneers are like that and I have to order them chopped. Or use fresh chopper blades and cross your fingers. I was actually thinking of switching to a saw myself.

I used craigslist (via google) and found my jyden. In the google search field I entered "jyden craigslist California" and "Morso craigslist California". This seemed to bring up all available choppers and was a better search for a craigslist item since they limit the search area into counties. Of course you will want to put your state in place of California.

Good luck!

p.s. Did you know that Gryphon sells chop at length price...but only charges the footage needed?
    Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive.

• Thread Sponsor
    Sponsor Wanted

Call (401) 619-4335 to become a sponsor today.

• Go