Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New California Law re: Headlights and Windshield Wipers

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Rob Markoff's Avatar

Default New California Law re: Headlights and Windshield Wipers

Don't know if this is the proper forum, but I learned something new today.

Last January a new law went into effect in California that states that if you have to use your windshield wipers continuously, you also have to have your headlights on. I must have missed the memo.

Of course at night it is a moot point, but now you must have your headlights on during the day if you have to use your wipers.

Carry on.
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Framar's Avatar
    Buffalo, New York, USA/Fort Erie, Ontario, Canada

I think that law makes great good sense - it has been the law I believe for a while now in New York State and in Ontario one has to have what are called "daytime running lights" on one's vehicle. It can get pretty darned dark out when it is pouring during the day - and a lot of folks forget to turn on vehicle lights making accidents more likely.

Did you think this was a good law or a bad law, Rob?

In California, the average is just a little over one thousand new laws and regulations go into effect each year. This includes state, local, and federal. It is extremely rare when and old law is removed from the books, perhaps one or two each decade. The laws and regulations governing a person living in California would fill a sixty foot trailer, if they were written in six point type, single spaced.

One of the strangest ones is "Ignorance of the law, is not a legal excuse." It is strange, at least to me, in that I doubt, no one person could possibly rattle off ten percent of them from memory, no lawyer, no judge, no professor of law, no police officer, I just do not think it could be done.

This coming January, another thousand or so laws and regulations will go into effect, to keep us safe from ourselves.

John
    After 47 years of framing, I'm retired.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer Rob Markoff's Avatar

Framar - I'm with you, I think it is a good law. Anything that makes your vehicle more obvious is a good thing and on a gray, wet, day, headlights can do just that.

I posted this because as JRB pointed out, there are so many new laws that come out it is hard to keep up and I surely was not aware of this one.

This law has been in effect for over 14 years now in NY state.

Yesterday while driving in torrential rain, one could still see (or actually barely see) a few dark cars passing by.

Maybe those geniuses think they're saving gas this way....

PFG Picture Framing God Framerguy's Avatar

Yup, same for IL and here in FL as far as headlights and wipers during inclement weather. And you have to have some kind of lights on after sundown in IL even before it gets really too dark to see other vehicles.

I drive with lights on all the time, it just makes me feel safer somehow.
    You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.
    - Naguib Mahfouz, writer (1911- )

PFG Picture Framing God Pat Murphey's Avatar

Long time now in NJ, too.
    Pat

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer DTWDSM's Avatar

Don't know if it is law here or not but my Jeep Commander automatically turns on the lights if the wipers go on.
    Tim McCann, Deck the Walls
    www.deckthewalls.biz
    Become a Facebook Fan at www.facebook.com/deckthewalls
    Follow Me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/deckthewalls
    We now have a Blog http://ourexpertiseyourmasterpiece.blogspot.com

Tim:

My Jeep (Cherokee) has a setting in the onboard computer that allows one to choose this as an option.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

Thanks Rob for bringing that to our attention. I will immediately pass it on to my Calif. family and friends.

Here's the tricky part. States adapt laws such as this one and if one comes to visit from another state - think of the thousands that don't realize they are breaking the law!

I remember my cousin and I drove to Calif. from Ariz. not long after they put in metered onramps. We had never seen such a thing, nor heard about them. Suddenly, she is getting onto a freeway and there was a blinking yellow light, a white line on the road with a sign full of instructions (no one capable of reading them in the split second given to you) and she says to me with panic, "What am I supposed to do?" All while slowing down to a near stop - rather hastily. Well, be assured, the man driving the white car behind us was most unhappy. We received more gestures from him than one could ever imagine! My point - it almost seems some of these laws should be done on a national basis with informational presentations provided for at least a month BEFORE and AFTER the initiation of that law change.

Just a thought!
    WWW.SDISTUDIO.COM

"Be grateful, be gracious and be groovy." - N. Mizell

• Go
    Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast