Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Framing a Chalk Drawing

Default Framing a Chalk Drawing

I have a customer with a Chalk Drawing from Prague. She took it to Aaron Brothers, and they refused to do it, because they didn't want the liability. This customer has now decided to have me do all her framing from this point forward, and I have already done several pieces for her. I don't want to screw up the chalk drawing and risk losing her. What is the proper way to do this? I don't want the chalk falling off the paper over time, or any of that disastrous stuff.

Any tips?

dave.
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

Here are a few threads you might look at. You also can go to the search feature and type in pastel or chalk as your keyword and you will find many more. Best thing seems to be using a deep spacer to allow trough for particles to fall into and to keep pastel away from glass/plexi.

http://www.thegrumble.com/showthread...hlight=pastels

Default Unless you can suspend the Law of Gravity...

this piece needs to be treated like any unfixed pastel (perhaps what you mean by chalk).
    1. You are not going to eliminate the dusting off of some of the pigment regardless of technique.
    2. Resist the urge to use any spray fixatives to hold the pigment in place...recipe for disaster.
    3. Use reverse bevels on the matting and shim the piece as far back from the mat as possible in the chosen frame. This will provide a pocket for the dust off to settle in without ending up on the surface of the mat.
    4. Environmental factors will come in to play...besides the usual light/heat/humidity, you have to be concerned with vibration. Where it hangs is crucial to longevity. If it hangs next to the heavy front door, dust off will occur every time the door is closed.

Your client needs to be educated to the shortcomings of this medium before proceeding. Anyone that promises to preserve this piece forever probably doesn't full understand what they are up against.
    Team Frame Fest 2015

Wally Fay
    Sunshine Frames

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer CAframer's Avatar

When assembling, insert points by hand to avoid jarring the loose pastel.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God Dave's Avatar

...and to add to Wally's comments ...

- Use brads when fitting instead of point gun to minimize jarring loose particles.

- While in your possession do not lay face down any more than necessary and inform customer of consequences of storing this way to avoid drop off of pigment.

Dave Makielski
    Dave Makielski

The guy who knows a lot about a little and a little about a lot. I learn something
    everyday and appreciate those who help to educate me, teach me and nurture me.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer preservator's Avatar

Please follow all of the suggestions in this thread. If the client can not afford
    the static-dispersive properties of Opitium, advise them that the glass you use should be cleaned with a damp chamois, only, and if it is taped for transport, the tape should be dampened, before it is removed, to avoid raising static during the tape removal process.

Hugh
    Listen to the listeners.

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

Dave's suggestion about fitting is important. I usually use turnbuttons and have all of the impact work completed before the fall-off-the-paper artwork is placed into the frame.

For anyone who might have missed Hugh's point, Optium Acrylic and Museum Optium Acrylic have a lower static charge than ordinary glass. That is due to the optical coatings on both sides.

Don't forget to allow plenty of air space between glazing and art. The more the better.

MGF Master Grumble Framer realhotglass's Avatar

Dave,
    Further to Hugh, Jims, and other poster's points.

You might like to call CYRO over there and see if they have Anti-Static acrylic sheet.
    Perfect for pastels, charcoals, and I would imagine chalk.

I have this in now from Plexiglas (Germany) and I'm fairly sure that CYRO manufacture some of Plexis' products (like AR - abrasive resist) under license in the US.
    Cheers,
    Les
    Tudor Glass
    Website
    Email

PFG Picture Framing God Jerry Ervin's Avatar
    North Carolina ... The Picture Frame Capital of the World

I'm not trying to start an argument here, really I'm not.

Optium Acrylic is simply out of most consumers price range.
    Truth is treason in the empire of lies. ~Ron Paul

cedarwoodgallery.com
    framingandawards.com

PFG Picture Framing God RoboFramer's Avatar
    United Kingdom, West Sussex Coast. (Bottom centre)

Dunno if this is in any of those links - just quicker to post ....

When I get a 'loose' thing like this, I replace the matted thing with the same thickness of mats with no artwork. Fire flexitabs in - remove no-artwork mats, (you can do it with offcut strips moved around with the gun) replace with matted loose thing and bend flexitabs back in place - you can even do that face up and seal it all standing vertical, leaning against something.
    Stir frying ideas in the strategy wok

• Go
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast