Thread: Framing Newspaper Articles

Andy's comment about cutting a mat for a newspaper article reminded me of one I just completed.

It's obvious that newspaper publishers don't have framers in mind when they print their stories; the articles are scattered all over the place and the columns are always different lengths.

I HATE cutting those odd-shaped mat openings.

So I cut out all the parts of the article from the paper and mounted them on 3/16" black foam core, then trimmed each piece with the edges beveled back. This created separate rigid units that I could move around until I had them in a logical pleasing arrangement. Then I glued them to a charcoal colored backing.

The finished project looked great and was so quick and easy that I think this will become my standard method for dealing with newspaper articles.

Kit
  2. Thread Sponsor

Sponsor Wanted

MGF Master Grumble Framer AndyPan, CPF's Avatar

I hear ya Kit. I think framing newspaper articles is the one thing I dread the most. Although I don't mind it as much when the customer comes in with the whole paper. It's when they've already cut out the article that the headaches begin. I have yet to have one where I didn't have to either find the same newspaper myself, or ask the customer to either find the newspaper and bring it in or get a good quality copy of the article (although I also know this should ALWAYS be done anyway). I think in 10 years I have only framed ONE newspaper article that was pretty cut and dry, just a couple of basic rectangle openings, and that was the article about our shop when we first opened!

[ 05-10-2003, 09:47 AM: Message edited by: AndyPan ]

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

Wizard has a template set up specifically for this purpose. It allows you to adjust sides in and out to fit the article. If there is more on a second page, you just do a multiopening, it takes NO TIME (as opposed to what it used to) to do.
    Jerry Vandergriff, EX-CPF <br />EX-McCue and Blanford Frame Shop Supply<br />Ex-Crestwood, KY<br />Ex-Retail Framer

SPFG Supreme Picture Framer God

We usually frame newspaper articles in the way Kit's opening post describes, with the pieces float-mounted on a solid background.

If the article pieces are smaller than 8-1/2" x 14", we offer to scan & make copies on our color LaserJet printer at no extra charge. The LaserJet copies look almost like the original paper, and will endure much longer than newsprint.

If we didn't have a color LaserJet printer, I would arrange for similar service with a nearby copy shop, or at least recommend that customers have copies made for framing.

I usually suggest they contact the reader advocate or ombudsman at the paper and arrange to get velox copies of the pages the articles are on. Much cleaner than newsprint, and much more durable. If that is unavailable, I will suggest the same as Jim and get good copies made to replace the newsprint in the frame.

Kit, your idea is great, will be appropriated for the next article project. Thanks!
    Team Frame Fest 2015

Wally Fay
    Sunshine Frames

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Cool

I use newspaper articles as a promotional item. I check the local newspaper in the morning for stories about a local person. I have some quality bond paper the same color as newsprint on which I make a copy. This is framed nicely in leftover mat and frame pieces and I take this and give it at no charge to the person the story is about. I make sure this is delivered before noon on the same day the paper comes out. Usually this person will carry this frame around with them the rest of the day telling everyone they see about it.

Well, I suppose I could hire salespeople but I'd have to pay them.

Takes me 3 minutes to measure, draw in CAD and cut a newspaper shape on my F-6100 CMC - double mat with vee groove.

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer

Originally posted by John Gornall CPF:
    I make sure this is delivered before noon on the same day the paper comes out.
    Well, I'm not that fast, but I do this as well.

Betty
    Betty Newman
    Newman Valley Studio
    Art & Antique Studio and Gallery
    www.newmanvalley.com - business site
    www.prayerlogue.blogspot.com - Ministry blog

MGF Master Grumble Framer

Originally posted by jvandy57:
    Wizard has a template set up specifically for this purpose. It allows you to adjust sides in and out to fit the article. If there is more on a second page, you just do a multiopening, it takes NO TIME (as opposed to what it used to) to do.
    jvandy57,

What is the template for this called?

Kit,

Sounds like you have everything together and are doing a great job!!

SGF Supreme Grumble Framer PurplePerson's Avatar

Kits idea sounds great to me. It would be fun to try.

I also use the Wizard template. But of course I forget what it is called. It is one of the last ones presented.

Maybe Jana can tell you the name of it. She has a good memory.

CGF II, Certified Grumble Framer Level II

Cool

The new F-6100 software has a template called the obvious - newspaper.

• Thread Sponsor
    Sponsor Wanted

Call (401) 619-4335 to become a sponsor today.

• Go